Noobie 1989 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recent owner of a '89 FJ62. Very clean, 208k. I'm the 3rd owner, and it's lived in the West Texas desert all it's life. Minimal rust on front right quarter panel at mud flap, and little bubble at rear window. Otherwise, super clean. BUT, second week I had it, transmission went out, so I 'm thinking here comes the money pit!! Just got it back from dropping the new H55F 5-speed transmission in it. I've got a couple of things that I'd like to run by the forum universe.

1) Drove it around town for a few week and all seems great. On first trip, about an hour at 68-70 MPH engine seemed to run a little hot, but nothing alarming (gauge up to first marker). When I came to a stop at a cross road, suddenly died. Turned over several times but never started. 10 minutes later started fine, and haven't had an issue since, but I also haven't taken it on an hour long drive. I don't think fuel pump, filter or FPR have been touched, so I'm thinking about trifecta. But I wanted opinions on if I should do all three at once, or try to diagnose problem first.

2) After reading threads about a 5-speed swap, my gas mileage is lower than I thought it should be, still about 10 mpg, and runs at 2,900RPM at 70 (also seems a bit high from other threads I seen.) Thoughts?

Appreciate the site and the support. Take care.

Cruiser.JPG

What's your tire size? I'd run at least 31s if not 33s to get your RPMs down. 3.73 axles would help, too, vs. 4.11s (which is what you have). Bigger tires won't help your gas mileage (in the big picture), but will cause the engine to turn more slowly.

Patch,

Not sure about the no-start issue, that could be many things, but I can speak to the H55. I've had mine in my 62 since January and I get 14+ running 33x12.5's, up from about 12-12.5, I think conservatively 15% better, maybe 20%. I'm in CO, so relatively hilly as well. I used to have to get gas at about 220 miles on a tank, now I can go 260+. RPM doesn't sound too far off, I'll try to watch as I drive home, but at 70, I'm maybe at 2800. Remember the speedo is off if you have bigger tires. I figure with 33's it is about 10% off, both in speed and mileage, so when I say 70, I'm really doing about 77 on a GPS.

Pyle

Been running my 1989 with a new H55 since July. Made a much better rig out of the LC. I am able to maintain highway speeds much easier now. That rpm sounds about right for 70. I'm running 31x10.50x15 and according to my gps my speedo is about 10% low. As for mileage I get around 14 with a RTR and RTT loaded with gear. A couple of times I got better than that when road was more flat and planets all in alignment. Mileage still crap but with H55 grins are up.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm running 31x10.50s, didn't think about the MPH gauge being off due to tires, so maybe I'm doing better than I thought. Will that will throw the odometer off as well?

Any thoughts as to the fuel replacements? Just do all at once and hope that solves it?

What's your tire size? I'd run at least 31s if not 33s to get your RPMs down. 3.73 axles would help, too, vs. 4.11s (which is what you have). Bigger tires won't help your gas mileage (in the big picture), but will cause the engine to turn more slowly.

SteveH, I've thought about swapping out the axles, but isn't that one of the differences from the 60 to the 62? Then I'm essentially retro-fitting backwards...

Maybe the carb fan is not working, but then all warm starts should be bad.
If you do the regular maintenance mileage may get better, measure distance and speed with gps and not the speedo.
Running hot because gauge up to first marker I dont understand, first marker is not hot... ? you mean first red marker?
anyway, many people have to replace radiator, and the chilling truth may be head gasket leaking, sorry to mention that :poof:

SteveH, I've thought about swapping out the axles, but isn't that one of the differences from the 60 to the 62? Then I'm essentially retro-fitting backwards...

Not sure it's 'backwards' so much as 'getting what you want'. With the H55, you have a lower first gear, and a not-as-steep-overdrive as you had with the auto trans. By putting 3.73-geared axles in it you will get a lower highway RPM, but a slightly worse crawl ratio, too. No free lunch here - you have to decide which you want more. Unless you do a lot of rock crawling, I'd give up some low range gearing for a more relaxed highway gearing.

Maybe the carb fan is not working, but then all warm starts should be bad.
If you do the regular maintenance mileage may get better, measure distance and speed with gps and not the speedo.
Running hot because gauge up to first marker I dont understand, first marker is not hot... ? you mean first red marker?
anyway, many people have to replace radiator, and the chilling truth may be head gasket leaking, sorry to mention that :poof:

True, first marker is not hot. I guess I should have clarified, it usually doesn't hit that first marker, and did on this trip. And it was there for an extended period of time. It was not at the red marker. Radiator and water pump have been replaced, as has the front main seal.

Not sure it's 'backwards' so much as 'getting what you want'. With the H55, you have a lower first gear, and a not-as-steep-overdrive as you had with the auto trans. By putting 3.73-geared axles in it you will get a lower highway RPM, but a slightly worse crawl ratio, too. No free lunch here - you have to decide which you want more. Unless you do a lot of rock crawling, I'd give up some low range gearing for a more relaxed highway gearing.

Very True. I've thought about that, I won't do much crawling. Mostly just need it for clearance and 4x4 only roads in Big Bend National Park. I really just need the clearance. That might be a swap a do in a few years, as long as this doesn't become a PITA! Either way, it's a blast to drive and own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom