Noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just got our FJ60 yesterday, love it! Paint's not the greatest, no carpet, so perfect candidate for rhino lining inside and out. And the best part is No Rust! Perfect to swap in an H55 later, too. It's got some props, but nothing major: windshield wiper linkage (motor runs), rear defrost and rear wiper wires are cut at the upper lift gate, driver seat needs restuffed, but gotta love the ARB stuff on it! Needs a winch, too! We've got an '07 FJ Cruiser that I think will be going away soon as we get this monster dialed in! Looks like a lot of nice people and great knowledge on this forum. Not like a defender forum I just joined.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Always puts a smile on my face when "noobs" buy an old 60 for the first time & they're stoked. Nice feels feeling.

No carpet - exactly how I bought mine... To find out the reason for the Po removing the carpet was that it leaked like a sieve the first time it rained... It still leaks, but now has wrecker-yard vinyl instead...

Welcome aboard

WELCOME TO MUD :flipoff2: <---- Official IH8MUD Welcome

Great looking truck. Just paint that TOYOTA logo on the grill white and it'll be perfect :)

You won't find a better forum for help/advice and people with integrity.

Seems strange for one Noob to welcome another, but here goes...
Welcome!
This forum makes owning these old trucks possible. I would have been lost a hundred times were it not for all the great folks on here!
Mom drives an FJ Cruiser. Awesome though it is, I would pick the 60, too. Perfect rig for getting out there and exploring.

Thanks guys! Just got two quotes today from shops for 6-8K to paint it! Holy crap! Does that sound right?!

Thanks guys! Just got two quotes today from shops for 6-8K to paint it! Holy crap! Does that sound right?!

Welcome to Mudd! That price seems high, but it all depends on the quality and process. To do it right, pull the entire body off the frame and tear it down... But if you just want to re-spray it, find a shop that will do it much cheaper.

I assume they are going to bang some of the dents out when they repaint? That actually sounds fair (maybe cheap) for a body off repaint with some body work, but agree that it’s steep for a respray. Honestly it doesn’t look so bad in the pictures. Depending on what else you want to do to it, perhaps consider waiting on the repaint. If it’s already running perfect then repainting it may make sense. If you are considering maintenance items do those first. A portion of that $6-8k will really come in handy if, for example, the truck blows a head gasket and as they are diagnosing that they find 15 other issues (speaking from experience unfortunately).

> Thanks guys! Just got two quotes today from shops for 6-8K to paint it! Holy crap! Does that sound right?!

"paint" is a broad category. You can definitely get the truck painted for way less, and you can definitely spend way more. 8k for a single-stage paint job where they just tape it off sounds steep, but for a base+clear body-off glass-out every-little-ding-filled repaint it seems very cheap.

Some of these things aren't even better vs. worse: it's what's important for your build. Sometimes glass-out causes problems with weatherstripping seals, etc. I'm not aware of any advantage besides cost though for a single stage paint job. Time, I guess, would be the other.

But yeah, pretty much everyone who owns an older vehicle, especially one you just bought, will advise you to make sure it's mechanically sorted before you start worrying about paint.

Before painting it see if you like off road where scratches and dents are to be expected, maybe invest money not in looks but in technical good condition, 5 speed is overrated I think as it is slow, for no highway use, anyway.
Lockers are very nice to have more 4x4 fun and some winch lines and stuff.
For a first read the maintenance 26 pages is very interesting (or disturbing :rofl:) and the rest is available for free if you search a bit

1986 Maintenance 26 pag.pdf

Get that thing mechanically sound and running great! Base line it.
Do some interior work like sound deadning and carpet and your good.
Look great the way it is.
Welcome to the crazy Landcruiser world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom