Noob to FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was worried about posting this overdone thingy on this site. Knew I might take some heat. But, I value y'all's opinions, so I'm for a bit of abuse; bring it!!! :cheers:

I actually liked the FJ Cruiser, but really wished they had put the V8 in it.

//Hijack off//
I just wish that they called it something else...

I was worried about posting this overdone thingy on this site. Knew I might take some heat. But, I value y'all's opinions, so I'm for a bit of abuse; bring it!!! :cheers:
It's not overdone. I've seen WAY worse. It's a pretty solid 40 that just needs some adjustments.

I appreciate that. I'm game to either bring it back down to stock, or sell it and start over. I got it from the original owner, so I'm fortunate to have the full history on it, receipts, etc.

I like the truck ... seems like a great starting point.... many of us went thru stages in building their cruiser

I went thru the white letters facing out at one time.... glad I recovered from that one lol

A cruiser is great to tinker with and build as you like.... there are very few perfect cruiser out there ... build it as you wish

The good thing about fixing the bezel is that’s its the easiest way to start out building the cruiser to make the masses happy :meh:

Enjoy the truck... it’s going to be fun!!!

I cant believe the bezel police havent gotten you yet.... lol I'm newer here and it was something I learned very quickly after posting the photos of when I picked mine up, the fat part of the front bezel goes up. There is a great FAQ section that is helpful to figure out how the 40 is "supposed" to be. FAQ - 40-series FAQ

Edit - And I was beaten to it from when I loaded the page to posting haha!

I just wish that they called it something else...

It is interesting. Looking on old forum posts, and internet search in general (prior to the FJ Cruiser, and shorty after it's release), many people call the FJ40 an FJ with no correction. It wasn't a debate. It was an FJ. I can't find anything that says otherwise.

The debate was whether the FJ Cruiser is an FJ or a Land Cruiser (consensus is it is neither).

Funny how the release of a non Land Cruiser, marketed with FJ in its name somehow made an FJ40, (as well as FJ25, FJ55, FJ60...) not an FJ when it seemed to be before. From what I see, many are letting the tail wag the dog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! I have a lot to learn. I know my series 80 inside and out since I've had it since new, but learning the "FJ40" is a whole new beast. But I do get the nomenclature piece. I have a similar issue with a Ford GT - they used to be called GT40, as they were 40" tall in the 60's. But Ford sold the name to an aftermarket company who kept making a replica car called GT40. When Ford brought the model back in 2005/2006 as a 50-year reunion car, they had to change the name so they settled on GT. If you get GT40 and GT wrong, you end up in the wrong forum and they let you know!! I appreciate all of the knowledge and help here!!! Next pictures should start the evolution back...

That is a good looking rig, for a 40, lacking nothing but some honest rock-rash and an original carb...

Thanks!!! There is a large abandoned lot nearby with lots of ways to gain some rock-rash without having to go too far. I flipped the bezel, so the process has begun!!

It is interesting. Looking on old forum posts, and internet search in general (prior to the FJ Cruiser, and shorty after it's release), many people call the FJ40 an FJ with no correction. It wasn't a debate. It was an FJ. I can't find anything that says otherwise.

The debate was whether the FJ Cruiser is an FJ or a Land Cruiser (consensus is it is neither).

Funny how the release of a non Land Cruiser, marketed with FJ in its name somehow made an FJ40, (as well as FJ25, FJ55, FJ60...) not an FJ when it seemed to be before. From what I see, many are letting the tail wag the dog.
Even without the FJ Cruiser the issue with "FJ" is it could also designate a serie 2, a serie 6, a serie 7 or a serie 8 as you mentioned. And above all calling "FJ" the series 4 is forgetting all the BJ4* and HJ45. Go in a diesel country and you will here people calling them "BJ"...
So only way to know for sure what generation someone is talking about is to include the generation number in the naming. Except if you only want to talk about the engine.

lots to learn - I never thought about calling my '96 an "FJ80"; cooler than series 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom