noob question: How do you guys mount your badges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Y'all,
After a bit of trail riding, I opened my tailgate and my '4WD' badge fell off right onto my bumper :eek:

I noticed that the PO but on pipe tape over the rubber wedges that sit on the plastic pin and stuck it in the pre-drilled holes. I have a feeling it was done differently at the factory.

How do I do this properly?

THANKS! (I'll post pics of trailer riding and of it cleaned up later tonight)

Last edited:
There is a plastic insert that plugs into the hole in the sheet metal, and then the pins on the emblems stick in the holes in the plastic plug. If those plugs are missing, or no longer grip the pins, then they should be replaced. I don't know if they are still available from Toyota.

There might be some little black grommets that are stuck on the badge pins. Remove those if on badge, else leave them stuck in the body holes. Stick them in the body hole past the rubber barbs so they are engaged. Now insert the badge pins into the black grommets. The trick is to first put the grommets in the body holes, then put the badge on the gate. If you try and do it in one step the pins will expand the grommets and prevent the barbs from going in deep enough to engage.

Badges? Wee don need no stinkin' badges!

;)

Mark...

Mine fall off from all my sweet jumps, so I just leave them off now. Haha!

Badges

Every time I find an FJ in a junk yard I grab all the badges and emblems I can. Damn things fall off or break (pretty brittle after all these years). I grab the good ones that still have solid looking insert tabs. I generally only pay .50 or $1 per. If the insert tabs are in good shape they just pop right in.

Once you have the badges installed you might want to add a dab of 3M trim adhesive on the back side of the tabs. The adhesive will help hold the tabs so that they won't come loose or be nicked.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I inspected my badge last night, and noticed that the black plastic sleeves don't have any ridges on them. I wonder if I could just put some silicone caulk or 3m adhesive and mount them that way...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom