Noob question about hub seal/knuckle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched for pictures and posts on my issue, but didn’t find what I was looking for so here’s my issue: I bought the front axle and rear axle rebuild kits from Cruiser Outfitters. I somehow opened the axle seals from both kits and can’t figure out which seal is the front hub seal. I left the seals at the garage so I don’t have pictures of them, but can someone send me picture of the front hub seal? The main difference I see is that one of the seals has a rubber lip that extends above the rest of the seal, whereas the rubber on the other seal stays within the metal part. Thanks In advance.

Last edited:
If you have the fully floating rear axle then the difference between the inner seals is a easy to tell as the rear inner axle seal is radically smaller than the front axle inner seal. Unfortunately i don’t have any experience with the semi floating rear axles.

Here is the inner axle seal for the front. If the rear is FF then the seal is just a rubber seal that's pretty flimsy. Not sure what a axle seal would look like.

20210319_152523.jpg

I "think " y'all are talking about two different seals. I read the original post, and to me it seems to be asking about which seal is the correct hub seal. Hub seal being the one that holds the inner wheel bearing in. If this is the case, the one with the lip is for the rear hub. The seals are the same diameter, and people do use the front hub seal on the rear hub without issue because it's cheaper. That lip on the rear one makes it much more expensive than the front. Purists do use the rear one with the extra lip for the extra price because in the overall cost of the job, the extra cash for the "correct" rear one is pretty insignificant.

If I read it all wrong, "Nevermind"........

I "think " y'all are talking about two different seals. I read the original post, and to me it seems to be asking about which seal is the correct hub seal. Hub seal being the one that holds the inner wheel bearing in. If this is the case, the one with the lip is for the rear hub. The seals are the same diameter, and people do use the front hub seal on the rear hub without issue because it's cheaper. That lip on the rear one makes it much more expensive than the front. Purists do use the rear one with the extra lip for the extra price because in the overall cost of the job, the extra cash for the "correct" rear one is pretty insignificant.

If I read it all wrong, "Nevermind"........
Yeah you're probably correct on. Think axle seal threw us both off

You guys are correct. I meant to say the hub seals. It looks like I installed a rear hub seal on the front so I’ll be ordering another seal…

You guys are correct. I meant to say the hub seals. It looks like I installed a rear hub seal on the front so I’ll be ordering another seal…
Could you take a picture of those seals? Curious to see the difference between the two.

I will later this week and send it to you. I’m renting a garage for the winter to work on the land cruiser and the garage is about 20 mins away from me. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

I finally found pictures that I think represent my confusion around the hub seals. As a background, I ordered a front axle rebuild kit and rear axle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters that were shipped together. I don't think the parts were labeled when I received them, and now I have mixed up the hub seals. I received two of the seals that are pictured in the first picture (the picture with the hand holding the seal) and two of the seals in the second picture. The only difference I can see is the little rubber lip that extends above the metal find in the second picture. The ring in the first picture does not have this. FYI, I have inspected both sides of the rings that I have, and I am positive only two of the four rings have this extra rubber lip. I still have no idea why they are different, and what the two with the rubber lip are for unless they are for the rear hub and are interchangeable, but the part's diagram has different part numbers for the front hub seals and the rear hub seals.

Seal Ring.jpg

Seal Ring 2.jpg

Last edited:
OoOoOoo you went with the max expensive route, priciest seal on all 4 corners. :clap:

Instant cruiser cred for that move. All you need to do now is also buy all your grease and oil from a dealership, don't use unless it's in red and white packaging.

Cruiser outfitters has been great so far, but my bank account is also very low. Do the seals with the rubber lip go on the front hubs, or does it matter if they go on the front vs the rear?

This a pic of the 3x's expensive correct rear hub seal. It has the obvious raised lip. The front is the one you have a picture above labled "rear hub seal". The front seal will work fine on the rear. As suggested above, O'Reilys sells the front cheap and is good at all 4 corners. I have used the Autozone ones too. Back when I wheeled hard most of the time, I refreshed the grease in the rears more often and replaced the rear hub seal with the front style seal from whoever I could source it from. When cash is an issue, like now (Thanks Brandon), this substitution is workable.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 095824.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom