Noob here. Purchased a1965 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heard about a 65 FJ that someone was going to take to the salvage yard. Decided to look at it and couldn’t leave without it. It has a 327 Chevy in it. I have work to do but a neighbor helped me get it running. (Did this before Covid decided to rule the world.) Now I need to work in the brakes. I’d like to do a front disc conversion. It will need a new everything for the brake system. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.
C0D6928F-0A58-4928-97C6-D05BF9773351.jpeg
92C51E92-E2E3-4D90-BE54-210FAC83898E.jpeg
3563184B-8A30-4C95-8342-F57F8657037F.jpeg
B053A0AA-2F4C-4F22-A407-B4292E72D6B7.jpeg

9F7DA4AA-38FE-491A-95F2-276375193C68.jpeg

A search will give you everything you need to know about disc brakes and more. I would do a search and any questions you have quote who ever posted what you have a question about to bring it to their attention.

As for your 65 I would either change to a FJ25 bib or change the rear wheel wells to look less like a jeep. Other than that looks like a nice 40 (not FJ).

A search will give you everything you need to know about disc brakes and more. I would do a search and any questions you have quote who ever posted what you have a question about to bring it to their attention.

As for your 65 I would either change to a FJ25 bib or change the rear wheel wells to look less like a jeep. Other than that looks like a nice 40 (not FJ).
Can you school me on the FJ25 bib?

Very nice find and I am so glad you were able to save it from the crusher. I can't believe someone would send it to the grave. Send that previous owner a one way ticket to N.Korea. Looking forward to your progress so post lots of pictures. Bib info below.

FJ25 bib - It has the 3 chrome horizontal bars which is the only difference that I know of. After the 25 bib the 40 series bibs only had changes to the lower lights.
1586049509564.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. First on my list is the fuel delivery system. The tank is in good shape but somebody removed the pump and lines. After that I want to tackle the brakes due to the fact that they are on it just inoperative. Is it not an fj because they swapped in the 327?

Thanks for the info. First on my list is the fuel delivery system. The tank is in good shape but somebody removed the pump and lines. After that I want to tackle the brakes due to the fact that they are on it just inoperative. Is it not an fj because they swapped in the 327?
It is an FJ40 as opposed to the newer version from 2007-2014 those are called the FJ or FJ Cruiser. Two very different rigs. There are also the FJ25, FJ45, FJ55 (Iron Pig), FJ60, FJ62,.......and so on.

Assuming from the lack of a clutch master that this is an automatic as well? Power brakes are going to be a must, even if discs are not. With the v-8 you don’t have the clearance issues retrofitting a booster like you do on a 6cylinder.
Manafre/BTB used to offer an all-in-one setup for modded trucks like yours that would probably work nicely. Don’t know if they still offer it.

I have a firewall bracket to mount a Toyota booster to the stock location without drilling if you want to go that route.

www.marksoffroad.net

A little bib/grill history

1586052332591.png

It is an FJ40 as opposed to the newer version from 2007-2014 those are called the FJ or FJ Cruiser. Two very different rigs. There are also the FJ25, FJ45, FJ55 (Iron Pig), FJ60, FJ62,.......and so on.
Assuming from the lack of a clutch master that this is an automatic as well? Power brakes are going to be a must, even if discs are not. With the v-8 you don’t have the clearance issues retrofitting a booster like you do on a 6cylinder.
Manafre/BTB used to offer an all-in-one setup for modded trucks like yours that would probably work nicely. Don’t know if they still offer it.

I have a firewall bracket to mount a Toyota booster to the stock location without drilling if you want to go that route.

www.marksoffroad.net

Yeah I’ll definitely check that out. It is a 3 speed, but they made the clutch completely manual with homemade bell cranks. I have some work in front of me for sure. Thanks for the info.

Here is a picture of a hard top FJ25 I borrowed from the "COUNT THE 25s thread in the FJ25 section. If you look at the rear wheel wells you will understand the 25 bib comment. The FJ25 had round wheel wells like the jeep. Jeep copy the FJ40 style rear wheel well on the CJ7.

MarkL.jpg

I am working on the brake system now. The previous owner cut the lines out of the rear of the FJ. I have decided to go with disc brakes all the way around and have a 2 port master cylinder. The issue is now the brake lines. JT Outfitters shows the system is for 8/70-9/75. Any ideas where to find some brakes lines? I know they need to be 10mm over the 9mm that came with it originally. Just trying to find some resourses for the lines. Thanks.

I bought my all drum brake lines from Cruiser Corps. The only thing to be reused was the junctions on the axles. The nuts used an 11mm wrench unlike the original, which were 10mm, threads were OEM size. It worked great, but there are more lines when you are running two wheel cylinders per drum vs disc caliper.

Heard about a 65 FJ that someone was going to take to the salvage yard. Decided to look at it and couldn’t leave without it. It has a 327 Chevy in it. I have work to do but a neighbor helped me get it running. (Did this before Covid decided to rule the world.) Now I need to work in the brakes. I’d like to do a front disc conversion. It will need a new everything for the brake system. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 2260167View attachment 2260170View attachment 2260171View attachment 2260169

View attachment 2260168

Nice FJ40 and glad to see an interest in preserving it. One thing though, those tires reminded me of Back to The future 3.

Delorean.PNG

Get in touch with @Rainman for your brake line needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom