Noob attempt to replace front rotors pads and bearings (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hadn't though of using that, good idea. I once spent and hour on just one side. Found the cone washer and hub flange had been glued in.:bang::mad:

These days I've a supper fast method. Kicks out even ones glued in cone washers fast.:bounce:

Looks great. I actually have the set of brass/stainless/plastic hammer bits. Which brand of air hammer/chisel; are you using? I have a cheapie that doesn't have enough stroke to really vibrate the cones properly.

Looks great. I actually have the set of brass/stainless/plastic hammer bits. Which brand of air hammer/chisel; are you using? I have a cheapie that doesn't have enough stroke to really vibrate the cones properly.
That was a small cheapo short barrel/stroke air hammer. Came in a $60 kit with ~40 pieces. I used in for rack and diff bushings also. As long as I oiled it, it worked okay. Any air hammer short or long stroke, should work.

The Chisel is a Mayhew 32064 Brass Hammer Tip. I've the set with aluminum and plastic tip, as well. There a a number of makers in the market of these various tips. Some replaceable tips! They're for things like aircraft rivet setting.

Today I use my Matco 2916 air hammer. With it I must be careful when popping bushing from aluminum, it's a beast. I just this month used it, on cone washer that were glues in. Did take ~3 more seconds, but did the job fast and easy.

A few years ago, on the Unicorn. I pounded off a set of cone washer stuck/glued in, by hand. Below is video of final minutes, after pound on, using P-oil and heat for day repeatedly. My brass dowel took a real beating. Brass did/does the job without damage to studs.

Cone washers and hub flange were glued on. After this one, I decided I needed a better solution for daily use. Brass dowel is fine. But can be energy draining and time consuming in tough cases. Hub flange was also a bear, as glued on. Once I realized someone had glued, I change approach other side. Treated hub flange like an oil pan FIPG in.

Today I used my brass dowel more for things like, knocking out wheel bearing races.

Last edited:
I did this job and made a video of doing it.

Hope it helps someone.

That's a sweet timelapse, great job covering the process. Only bit of constructive criticism I have is you need a wider snap ring. After you put it on and grabbed the axle at the 14:28 mark it moved A LOT. This will quickly eat away at the groove that the snap ring sits in eventually destroying the end of that cv axle. There should be virtually no play when you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom