Non-USA Drum Brake Master (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rzeppa.org
Quick question - Since all FJ45s, even later ones, are drum front brake, should I order a pre-76 (pre-7509) brake master, or is there something different about a USA-spec 1975 master from a non-USA spec 1978 (7712 production date) drum front master? For that matter, I am seeing that USA spec lists a 47201-60031 for a 7501-7509 application and a 47201-60010 for a 7007-7501 application. Anybody know what changed in Jan of 1975 production? Deep versus shallow booster?

TIA and happy cruisin'!

The 60031 has a larger bore.

Thanks...so how can I tell if my stock M/C has the larger versus smaller bore. IIRC, it was 1" vs. 7/8", right? And does this have to do with the change from the shallow to the deep booster?

TIA!

1" bore = Drum brakes, thin booster

7/8" bore = Disc brakes, thicker booster, till 1980.

1 1/8" bore = non-usa 45 pickup master, thin booster.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks, I just checked and it has 1 1/8 on the casting, couldn't see anything else cast in it except FR and RR. And yes the booster is thin, but different than other thin ones I've seen, it is actually labeled for drum brakes. It has P/N on the label too. So, is there a USA-spec master I can order in, or do I need a non-USA P/N?

If you are working on your 45 pickup, I would get a 45 pickup master, and be done with it.

I's love to, but where can I get one? SOR? A Canadian dealer? If I had a P/N I can order non-USA parts from my local dealers, they get it in from the Ontaria CA warehouse. And yes, this is for my 7712 production date FJ45. Still stops fine but is pumping fluid from the rear circuit into the front circuit and puking out the top of the front reservoir.

To add insult to injury, my 71 has a leaking fuel tank (rusted through, waiting on part), the pickup also has leak out the rear of the clutch master, my 76 is nowhere near done, and I just got diagnosed with a hernia, meet the surgeon tomorrow. So I'd sure like to take care of this before I have my surgery. Yikes! When it rains it pours!

TIA!

Okay, thanks to Shawn at the Stampede Toyota parts department in Calgary, I have a part number:

47201-60040 for the M/C and

04493-60030 for the kit.

Any parts gurus know if that number will cross to a domestic number?

As always, TIA!

Here's a follow-up:

I got the part on order through my local dealer, but it's going to be pricy and take several weeks. My friend Wayne Smith in Calgary (whom I got the truck from) advised that the two circuit drum master from early 70s will bolt up, he's done it, so I also got the 47201-60031 for a 7501-7509 application. I picked it up on my way home from work last night. I'll put it in today, and it'll tide me over until the right one comes in, and then I can have a spare on hand for my 71.

Get this: that morning I started this thread, I had emailed SOR asking if they knew what I needed and whether they had one. They finally emailed me back two days later, they had one in stock and it was $75 less expensive than my dealer's price, even with my discount. I called my dealer and by then it was too late to cancel the special order. Oh well.

OEM vs. not....

no biggie...

sounds like you figured it out.

:beer:

it's too late now but I have at least 3x 47201-60040 here in BC
$235 CDN list

Poser said:
OEM vs. not....

no biggie...

sounds like you figured it out.

:beer:

Thanks Poser; none of the options I had a serious line on were non-OEM. I PM'd with Rick D. and he indicated that aftermarket were pretty long lead time.

Minor correction: the tide-me-over master I got was the 47201-60010. I just held it up against the current one and it does look like a bolt up. Only difference appears to be location of the front brake line connection (this one's behind the reservoir instead of in front of it) and size of the rear reservoir, which is smaller.

Not sure of the bore size on this. It has 52 cast in it, not sure what the significance is, if any. The old one had 1 1/8 cast in the top between the reservoirs.

Mud_Guppie said:
it's too late now but I have at least 3x 47201-60040 here in BC
$235 CDN list
Darn! Where were you on Wednesday when I was frantically searching for this part? Oh well, thanks for the post. What all else do you have, for future reference?

We basically stock most brake parts, resto pieces, rebuild kits, seals, odd stuff, diesel etc
We carry a large inventory so we don't have to air freight parts in

I know the webpage sucks but we're too busy to get to it
I have parted dozens of Cruisers as well so the used parts selection is pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom