Non-US versus US FJ40. How can I tell for sure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone please help me out? How do I determine whether or not a 1977 FJ40 is an import or a US model?
Thanks in advance.

VIN and visual inspection

Can someone please help me out? How do I determine whether or not a 1977 FJ40 is an import or a US model?
Thanks in advance.

The most obvious difference is that a 1977 U.S.-market 40 will have factory front disc brakes while the other markets still had drums all around.

South American trucks rarely if ever have heaters, frequently have the rubber bumper titties, have the old-fashioned air cleaners, and are usually beat to s*** and have creative repairs.

Post photos of the one you are looking at if you want more answers/help.

Pics added.

B6EAC367-95E5-492A-88C3-1CBD92504FDA.jpeg

AB65A073-62E7-4B99-B297-65A5A1FCC3D3.jpeg

289A1B12-944B-4236-B0FE-4EDCD3A4E06F.jpeg

D2F8A7F2-70BA-4028-B3EE-1AC1AC5DC1AC.jpeg

816DF9AD-CC5B-492D-ABEC-5CC69DE215FE.jpeg

Looks like a U.S. model, with some funky non-stock wiring and non-stock paint colors, and a (partial?) de-smog job.

Looks like a U.S. model, with some funky non-stock wiring and non-stock paint colors, and a (partial?) de-smog job.
Toyota paint code - Coronado Beige. Aftermarket wiring harness replace.

Compared to South American versions….

You have:
dash pads
US air cleaner
Heater/blower motor
Bucket seats (with console?)
And a roll bar (and smaller jump seats?)

Looks US spec to me

Not sure what KCA is. K is a four speed. C believe is ambulance doors. J is roll bar. A is us Market. 2/76 Canada had it's own model and ended with a K. Prior to 1/75 the data plaque under the hood did not have near as much information. That included a complete model number. The A at the end only started 1/75.

well it was originally a US model, but lots of stuff has been replaced/removed. It was originally a hardtop model. As pointed out by others, many things oddly done.

Post a pic of Vin plates...have you verified all three vin plates/numbers match?

ignore my earlier comment, I mistakenly thought the image posted by @jblatz was from OP. The VIN plate is going to tell us what we need to know

well it was originally a US model, but lots of stuff has been replaced/removed. It was originally a hardtop model. As pointed out by others, many things oddly done.

By 77 all FJ40s imported to the US were hard top models. While the 76 model started in 1975 it was on the 1/76 that the three point seat belts started which was a DOT safety requirement. Wasn't until 2/78 the seat belts mounted to the roll bar. Until that the FST wouldn't meet safety requirements. But Toyota didn't start importing FST again. All out soft top models had soft side doors and a tailgate. No models with hard side doors or two piece ambulance doors were imported. The few FST imported during 1975 the spare tire was still on the right side while all hard top models had ambulance doors and spare on the left. The barn doors and hatch ended in 1974. Barn doors are resting against the back of the tub. Ambulance doors fit flush. Is the back cutout for flush mounted ambulance doors?

By all accounts, it appears to be a US model that's had a number of mods done. I notice a few details about your engine compartment that maybe will help your decoding and work in the future. The heater valve is missing. Maybe relocated somewhere else? What is your Warm Pull knob connected to? The heater valve should be mounted in the dead center of your first engine bay pic where the two holes are in the firewall, right above where the heater hoses penetrate the firewall. The valve cover and upper thermostat housing appear to be from a 1979/80 model, not 77. This may indicate that your motor may be a replacement at some point along the way. I can't tell what distributor you have, but the original 79/80 dizzy is a really good one to have in my opinion. Your fuel filter is non-OEM and in a strange location (under the splash guard plate?). Your oil pan appears to have been swapped with the later model that has the smaller drain plug. There's a lot of Thailand stainless bolts all over the truck. This is just a few data points I see. One of the top priorities I would have with the truck is making sure that wiring harness is all up to snuff. I'm seeing some janky wiring mods. Hand over hand every circuit and draw it all out on paper so you can troubleshoot in the future. Bad wiring can leave you stranded at best, and start a fire at worst. From the outside that's a sweet looking truck and I would enjoy the heck out of that soft top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom