Non-US versus US FJ40. How can I tell for sure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shouldn't it have side marker lights on the rear quarters?

Depending on who has owned it in the past a lot of the tell tale signs could have been "corrected". I know I've spent a lot of time adding factory US spec parts to my general market truck

Can someone please help me out? How do I determine whether or not a 1977 FJ40 is an import or a US model?
Thanks in advance.
assuming you are looking to buy and dont already own this, my only advise is that looks can be deceiving. It looks great from the outside, but this appears to be hobbled together on the inside with some very suspect wiring and parts from assorted models. I would suggest looking a lot closer at the details. The paint job looks great, and it almost looks like new panels were used throughout...this would bring up a lot of questions for me.

I am going to guess that if you can find all three VIN's...they probably won't match

The rear footman loops are in the wrong spot for an original soft top. If you relocate them to where they should be you could run both a soft and a hard top. My '75 was a factory soft top with a tail gate and now has an early hard top and a set of early doors which fit perfectly. All in all that is still one nice rig!

My hunch is it's a general market rig that's been US-ified...but just based on a few things and Spidey sense.

Quirky, but seems fairly clean on the surface...I'd give the bodywork a careful eye for "lipstick", and mainly if the price is more in line with its quirks vs a premium for a clean/sorted rig.

The rear footman loops are in the wrong spot for an original soft top. If you relocate them to where they should be you could run both a soft and a hard top. My '75 was a factory soft top with a tail gate and now has an early hard top and a set of early doors which fit perfectly. All in all that is still one nice rig!

US market did not get any FJ40 soft top models after 12/75. US required three point seat belts. 1/76-2/78 the hard top sides were used to mount the seat belts other market without a roll bar continued to use the hard top seat belt brackets past 2/78. On the FJ25 and early FJ40 a few barn door soft top models made it to the US. After that only option for a soft top was a tailgate.

Any KJA imported to the US 1/75 and later would be a FJ40L not a FJ40LV. If the model has a V after FJ40L it a hard top. V equals van which for Toyota is a hard top. Only rear door option on a hard top 1/75 on would be C ambulance door

I agree. it just doesn't look right. The wiring and brake plumbing is way off. It has strange fasteners on the fire wall in strange locations. Along with nuts instead of bolts, rivets? Check the vin # on the title, frame, A pillar, and fire wall tag. As others have said, Be careful.

Is this standard for a 77? Also missing WS squirter and under dash light? This is like where's waldo. It's a good thing I didn't post up pictures of my truck before I bought it. It was missing so much, I had no idea.

1657221054511.png

I like this one but there are many indicators that it's not what it seems. These pictures say the most to me. Fasten seatbelt light goes under the dash pad, square tube seat bracket isn't right and data plate is mounted with Phillips head screws instead of rivets. Then there's the lack of corner reflectors, weird "hole" in the inner fender well, footman loops in the wrong spot etc... Might be a mystery where it came from but I'd pass if an OEM US model is what you really want.

928A908D-0543-4988-9A27-6E7BE30184CE.jpeg

425A2001-9FC9-4DC8-9F1C-156B42A2D53D.jpeg

Last edited:
I like this one but there are many indicators that it's not what it seems. This picture says the most to me. Fasten seatbelt light goes under the dash pad, square tube seat bracket isn't right and data plate is mounted with Phillips head screws instead of rivets. Then there's the lack of corner reflectors, weird "hole" in the inner fender well, footman loops in the wrong spot etc... Might be a mystery where it came from but I'd pass if an OEM US model is what you really want.

View attachment 3052788
I thought the same thing. Fyi The pictured Vin plate with phillips screws is not on this vehicle.

The one on the drivers door is indeed screwed on, and the one on the firewall appears to be taped/glued on in the "full rig" photos:

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.20.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.29.46 PM.png

The earlier photo of just the tag (with smeary paint) does have rivets, and does match the frame, and does reflect an early '77 VIN...could just be an artifact of doing paintwork...or it could be a rebody-franken-build. There's enough quirks that I couldn't personally rule out the latter.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 4.24.19 PM.png
BBE7B437-68F6-40E8-8A93-A01719E7162C.jpeg

Look for any signs of lots or rust covered up by lots of bondo
it almost looks like they replaced the tub and panels with aftermarket metal...its all too perfect and doesnt match the condition of frame and vin plates

Last edited:
I thought the same thing. Fyi The pictured Vin plate with phillips screws is not on this vehicle.
I didn't realize the A pillar plate on the 40 inquestion was screwed on too.

The original tub was removed from the cowl back and replaced with a 3/4 tub from Land Cruiser Heaven. There is zero rust on it anywhere. I’ll post a pic of the starting point.

Admittedly I got in over my head and the first “Restoration Shop” owner really set me back. Used my parts for other projects, left my FJ sitting until I had to go to court to get it back. I shifted it to another shop and you see the final product. I’ve wanted this rig for 30 years and I had gone too far to turn back.

D3FFA253-B458-4B2F-A661-23BAADA13093.jpeg

7D79FFD9-A529-4557-9EEC-BDC69FAA7606.jpeg

The original tub was removed from the cowl back and replaced with a 3/4 tub from Land Cruiser Heaven. There is zero rust on it anywhere. I’ll post a pic of the starting point.

Admittedly I got in over my head and the first “Restoration Shop” owner really set me back. Used my parts for other projects, left my FJ sitting until I had to go to court to get it back. I shifted it to another shop and you see the final product. I’ve wanted this rig for 30 years and I had gone too far to turn back.

View attachment 3053002

View attachment 3053003
So,,, this was a test? What's our grade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom