Non-Toyota diesel swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.powerwagonlocker.com
Hey guys,

Anyone have any thoughts on the following swaps:

1) 2.7 liter Dodge/Mercedes sprinter engine. There are a number of new engines floating around and with the economy, it seems that the prices are coming down. I wonder if you could bolt this engine to an NV4500 so that you could use the AA adapter to the LC transfer case. I have heard a lot of good things about the engine in general. I wonder about electronics.

2) Hino truck engines. There are an increasing number of these trucks for sale in the used and salvage listings. I know that they use a 220 hp engine in most of the ~26 gvwr applications, but I know nothing about the engine. Is it the 8.1 Liter engine that they used in the diesel Tundra for the car shows last year? It comes with a 6 speed transmission. If it was 5-5.5 Liters, it could be a decent candidate for the huge engine bay in the 60 series.

I will look forward to your comments.

Dan

I think the engine they used for the Tundra was the 1KV V8 diesel, same as in the new 200 series diesel option.

Chang-kuao-lo,

The Black Tundra, Dually exhibition truck was definately an 8 L Hino. There were several write-ups on it in Diesel Power, Etc. Most of the articles call it an 8.0L, so I am not sure if it is the same engine in the commerical trucks currently available in the US.

Sema: Toyota Tundra Dually Returns To SEMA With Monster Diesel Mill

Dan

So, has anyone looked into the 2.7L Sprinter Engine?

Dan

What vehicle are you thinking about swapping it into?
You might consider an older Mercedes OM603, a 3 liter (or 3.5 in my case) 6 cylinder. They came in the S350 sedans in the early 90's. I know someone is making a Mercedes adapter for the GM NV4500 transmission?
There has been talk about this engine having enough power for a cruiser, I now own a 94 Mercedes G350 with the 3.5L turbo diesel and I will tell you it has plenty of power for any Cruiser. Mine has an intercooler and puts out 165 HP, the Mercedes weighs about the same as an FZJ80. These engines are considerably cheaper than the sprinter and should be fairly easy to find. The best part about it is the lack of electronics which would make it a fairly easy swap.
Rusty

The Hino 8L 6Cyl in the bigger trucks is a J08C-TI that comes in at 1,205mm long, 830mm wide and 825mm high with a dry weight of 540kg. The older J08 models were used in FD and up cab forward trucks but getting it to fit in a 60 series engine bay is not realistic.

The 5.5L 4Cyl in the smaller trucks is a J05C-TI that comes in at 935mm long, 810mm wide and 875mm high with a dry weight of 450kg. Looking at 168hp and 366 lb. ft for the later models.

jasonmt, wow even the 4 cyl would be a stretch in a 60 series??

Rusty, I have a 60 series that I am contemplating an engine swap for.. I have been on the verge of doing this for a while. I really want to do a 1HD-FTE, but the cost of getting one in the US coupled with difficultly of finding someone to do the swap has slowed me down. (If I could find the right engine and the right shop, I would start tomorrow)

I thought that the 5 cyl. mercedes would be a pretty good match to my expedition ready 60 series. Unlike most oil burner fans, I actually like the newer, electronic diesel engines. Diesel engine technology has been evolving at twice the rate of gas engines for the last 20 years. I would like to take advantage of that!!

Regards,
Dan

The Hino 8L 6Cyl in the bigger trucks is a J08C-TI that comes in at 1,205mm long, 830mm wide and 825mm high with a dry weight of 540kg. The older J08 models were used in FD and up cab forward trucks but getting it to fit in a 60 series engine bay is not realistic.

The 5.5L 4Cyl in the smaller trucks is a J05C-TI that comes in at 935mm long, 810mm wide and 875mm high with a dry weight of 450kg. Looking at 168hp and 366 lb. ft for the later models.

Hey Jason, do you have any info on the turbo used on that 5.5L engine?

Unlike most oil burner fans, I actually like the newer, electronic diesel engines. Diesel engine technology has been evolving at twice the rate of gas engines for the last 20 years. I would like to take advantage of that!!

Regards,
Dan

The idea of using a "modern" diesel would interest many ... however, getting the computer/s to work correctly in an older/different body/gbox combination is where the problem exists (my special subject is "the bloody obvious"):D. The inputs from various parts of the original vehicle may not be available at all... If you can solve this problem easily and cheaply, you'll be a zillionare before lunchtime .. If it was all just plug and play, there would be a lineup to update to modern equipment I'm sure... my2c

The nice thing about most diesel engines is that all the engine related electronics are contained in an engine mounted ECM (unlike gas engines were the ECM is mounted within the car body). In many cases, this makes the engines quite easy to swap. Some of the newer electronic engines are deveating from this path - which is too bad. But, there are still some good ones out there.

I would say that the biggest issue with the sprinter engine is that they all use 5 speed automatics. If they had a manual trans option, it would be a more promising prospect!

Just trying to gather info.

Dan

One thought... the new Cummins QSB (? I think...?) 3.9. Its a common rail electronic engine if I remember correctly. Anything new though won't be cheap. I think there is some info on it at 4btswaps.com. You could also try PM'ing Dougal, I think he is a moderator over there.

The nice thing about most diesel engines is that all the engine related electronics are contained in an engine mounted ECM (unlike gas engines were the ECM is mounted within the car body). In many cases, this makes the engines quite easy to swap. Some of the newer electronic engines are deveating from this path - which is too bad. But, there are still some good ones out there.

I would say that the biggest issue with the sprinter engine is that they all use 5 speed automatics. If they had a manual trans option, it would be a more promising prospect!

Just trying to gather info.

Dan

I'm also a fan of the modern electronic diesels, but there's a lot of irrational fear regarding electronics of any type.
In the petrol arena EFI has proved vastly superior to any carb setup and the aftermarket no longer has a problem with transplants of EFI engines.

It'll take a while for the diesel market to mature to this level, but it'll be awesome when it does. Afterall most EFI diesels are using one of only a handful of electronic injection controls so a generic and programmable computer should be as easy if not easier than setting up and tuning an EFI petrol.

jasonmt, wow even the 4 cyl would be a stretch in a 60 series??

Keep in mind that the dimensions should be for a fully kitted engine, IE from the front of the fan to the flywheel or back of the appliance. These dimensions are also for the new common rail versions, the mechanically injected engines are a little bit narrower.

For comparison a mechanically injected Cummins 4cyl in 3.9/4.5L "B" engine is 777mm x 625mm x 958mm (LxWxH) with a wet weight of ~350kg but the length does not include a fan & fan clutch assembly. http://www.everytime.cummins.com/assets/pdf/4087025.pdf

Hey Jason, do you have any info on the turbo used on that 5.5L engine?

Next time I am in the shop I will take a peek at the service manuals to see if there is any information.
image001.jpg

Dang... Me likey that five cylinder, the J07C-TI. :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom