Non-Standard Fuel Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently stopped by the local Pep Boys just to get a fuel filter for my 1985 FJ60. All they have are Puralator brand, so I look in the book, find the right one (F20002), buy it, go out to the parking lot to put it on, and low-and-behold, it doesn't fit. The outlet tubes on boths side of the filter are too small in diameter for the fuel lines that it connects to. Way too small...small as in I wouldn't even risk clamping it.

So, I go back in and exchange it for another filter that looks identical, but has larger diameter outlets, and it fits fine, but doesn't sit perfectly in the clamp that holds it to the body.

Has this happened to any of you? Or can anyone tell me how/where to get the right filter? I'm guessing the Toyota OEM filter would work well, but who knows...I thought they based the aftermarket stuff on the sizes and specs of the OEM one.

It's happened to me before. If it fits on the hoses snug enough and doesn't leak gas, I'd use it. I haven't had any problems with the local parts store brands.

Maybe someone with a little more experience can chime in on different fuel filters....

No worries on your 60.

John

A fuel filter is a fuel filter, it should be just fine. Most of the Cruiser suppliers carry them for next time.

WIX makes a perfect replacement for the OEM FF

I did the same thing (bought a "parts store" fuel filter with the M1 Eyeball calibrator), and though it fit properly to the fuel line and the fender-clamper-chingadera, but it inhibited fuel flow; I noticed this immediately because the 60 didn't accelerate...it stumbled above idle. I thought it was bizarre, but the condition was corrected immediately after installing the OEM filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom