1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-English speaking people

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 72FJ40LandCruiser, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I want to get everybody's opinion. I notice more and more that we have tons of people in this country who do not speak English. I heard on the news that Texas is now a minority majority state. Meaning that the majority of the Texas population are minorities. I don't have a problem with that at all, but it's that there's a considerable amount of these people who don't speak English. I work in a retail environment, and often have people in the store who don't speak English, therefore I can't help them much. All I get from them is "No speak English." I don't know about you guys, but if I moved to China, I'd learn to speak Chinese. If I was there on vacation for a week, I'd carry a translation book, but I wouldn't try to learn the language. But these people I have problems with have moved here permanently (or at least for a couple years) and refuse to learn to speak English. There were a couple guys talking Spanish to each other one day and I was with another employee of mine. He is caucasion, but speaks decent Spanish. They were making fun of us in Spanish, and you should have seen the looks on their faces when he turned around and said a few words in Spanish to let them know he understood what they were saying. Often, we'll have people come in (customers and employees) who are speaking English, but then when they want to speak so that you can't understand them, they start speaking in Spanish.

I heard on the news recently that in California they are in the process of forcing hospitals to keep somebody on staff that speaks Spanish and other languages so that they can communicate with non-English speaking people when they come in and have an emergency. Many of the patients that come in are illegal immigrants (who the taxpayers pick up their medical bill, but that's a whole nother discussion). It's getting to the point to where people are FORCED to learn immigrants' languages. In school for years students have had to take French, German, or Spanish classes. Now, employers are being forced to have somebody on hand who is bilingual. I have a couple employees who speak Spanish, and it comes in handy. If I could speak Spanish, it would help my sales. But I don't want to. I refuse to ****ing conform and give in. I will not have my country invaded, my tax dollars used up by illegal immigrants, and then have to learn THEIR language.

--END RANT

How's everybody else feel?

2. Jman

Jman

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

4. patride71

patride71

go take a spanish class and forget about it.... :flipoff2:

5. Desertdave

Desertdave

well (Ramble :eek:n)

I have to admit that the #1 reason non-English speakers bother me is that I can't eavesdrop on their conversation!

I have thought about, but never taken action on, learning Spanish.

I used to get bent about people not learning English, and expecting things to be in their native language. Over time this bothers me less and less. I guess I'm just getting too old, to get bent over such things.

Possibly, I have mellowed because of how, even in Japan, they accomodate English speakers.

Also, I have heard that English is the international language of business, if there is such a thing. So, if someone chooses to not learn English, then maybe they are limiting themselves somewhat.

Clearly I have a lot of opinions, none of which cohese into anything particulary relevant, (Ramble off)

6. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

We should ALL learn Chinese!! :flipoff2:

"Spanish and English are in a virtual dead heat to be the second most spoken language in the world. As of 1999, Spanish had 332 million speakers, while English had 322 million. They were far behind Chinese, with 885 million. Source: Ethnologue. (If people who speak English as a second language were included, however, English would come out on top.)"

7. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Couple of things..

Customer Service: Anyone that works customer service should speak fluent english.

ATMs: Don't ask me which f-ing language I want!!! If I was in a foreign country I wouldn't expect to choose!!

I called up a support line for a PC the other day...I got a gentleman named Jason. He obviously wasn't american. He had a thick Indian accent. I asked him his real name...it was rajeev. They are told to use american names to connect to the user. He spoke ok english, but hung up on a few words here and there.

anyhoo...no real point here I guess

8. cruzer

cruzer

Here at work most of the people out on the production floor speak spanish. I think they should speak english. we have english and spanish signs up for everything. Everything is translated to spanish. When my ancestors came here they had to speak english or go home. So why are we letting these people only speak one langauge. If i moved to another contry i would learn the langauge. my uncle came from syria he had to learn english in order to survive....but the PC world we live in says we have to accomodate everyone... Ok gotta get back to work.

Oh and i DO have spanish/mexican/PR freinds that speak both languages...but funny enough i don't have any that only speak spanish....cause i can't understand them...but i do get a quick out of whatching telemondo and the other spanish channel we get :)

Stew

9. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I'm always amazed at how accomidating people in other countries are to me with my one foreign (to them) language. My grandparents spoke no English and I speak nothing else. It'd funny how quickly a person can become integrated into a society.

I have a number of friends who cater to Spanish speakers because other retailers won't. Its a relatively cheap and easy way to expand their market big time. Its not so easy around here. Very small Spanish comunity but lots of Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Vietnamse. You'd have to learn a lot of languages to pick up that whole crowd.

10. YV FJs

YV FJs

Interesting…

Let me start by saying that English is my second language (native=Spanish) and I do believe that anybody moving to the US should learn and speak English.

Now some general comments/opinions from somebody who have lived in the US and abroad for a while and has been lucky enough to do a fair amount of traveling:

Those who don’t want to learn English and live in the US are hurting themselves. It only limits their chances on anything.
    Americans who learn Spanish (or any other language) are not giving up anything.
    Outside the US, people do their best to communicate in English (frenchies aside) when an American is having trouble communicating.
    I’m going for Chinese now. Heck, with English, Spanish and Chinese I could communicate with a “good” amount of people. If they don’t understand any of these three, more likely that I don’t have any business to do with them.

J

11. JerryLX450

JerryLX450

12. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

Ever tried to learn a foreign language? It's not easy. Granted many people don't even try but for those that do, it is difficult.

If you were in a foreign country with your friend that spoke English, would you speak to him in English or try to talk to him in a language that don't speak or understand very well. Fluency in a foreign language can take many years.

Tom

13. dclee

dclee

My company, a consulting / outsourcing firm, currently runs a subsidized health insurance program for the State of California. One of the contractual requirements was a call center with the capability to service 11 different languages. Our phone IVR system has all of its menus in all 11 languages. What a nightmare!

14. dclee

dclee

Man, there is such a high quantity of hotties on those Spanish language channels. Who needs to speak the language with all the eye candy on there??? :cool:

15. FJ40-GARAGE

FJ40-GARAGE I`ll be back....

Media:
    Albums:
    Ja das ist echt übel sowas.

Wenn die Jungs schon zu euch rüberkommen sollten die wenigstens in der lage sein englisch zu reden oder zu verstehen. Für sowas hab absolut null verständniss! ;)

(Yes that is really bad.
    When these Folks come to your country they should be at least able to talk or understand english. I got zero sorrows for these people!) ;)

Same thing over here in germany, lots of people from all over and if they unable to talk german we end up talking english ;) ...... sometimes.
    If i would have to learn each language for each country i visted......oh my goodness....i would be a professor or worse..... :)

16. SR.GRINGO

SR.GRINGO

I live in Mexico--have almost been here for two years now. I knew 0% spanish upon coming down--I'm probably at 40% now--it isn't easy trying to learn a language along with running a business 80 hours per week. I am in sort of the opposite situation that you are describing--it sucks ;) You may want to try and learn a few simple phrases:

What do you need?

Up, down, left, right,

no we don't carry this product

We can order that for you

17. mloudy

mloudy

Well the Japanese exchange student that my freind ran across would not speak to her in Japanese. She said only english please. Even when presented with the opportunity to speak her native language she did not want to.

In other news:
    "Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau (search) said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state."

I don't really care that they are "non-white" but I suppose many do not care to learn english.

18. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

last time i went to a drive thru at Wendys, its like it was my fault that i couldn't understand them...and they were from India...already muffled sound coming from the speaker and worse with their accent...

But hey, i'm just glad they are out working instead of committing crimes....

19. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Businesses offer signage and assistance in other languages because it helps their bottom line. If there was not profit potential involved (or if there isn't legislation requiring it), they wouldn't do it -- plain and simple. Why does my bank have options for different languages at their ATMs? Because they want to gain the business from different immigrant communities.
    Blame capitalism!

Why does the hospital do it? Because they're there to help people...and it makes their job easier. Part of it could be for legal reasons -- if they treated someone incorrectly and didn't make an effort to communicate with someone, they could be held legally responsible if some lawyer could prove they didn't make a reasonable effort to communicate with the patient.
    Blame the lawyers!

As already mentioned, anyone who doesn't make a reasonable effort to learn the language spoken by the masses of a particular country is only hurting themselves. They lose out because they can't communicate. I think most people make an effort to learn, but it takes quite a bit of time for most adults to learn new languages.

What makes you think all these people are illegal immigrants? I don't know if they are or are not, but you seem pretty sure that they are.

Would you be okay with English speaking foreigners invading our country and using up our tax dollars? What if were Canadians and not Mexicans?

20. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    The Canadians AREN'T invading? eh ?