Non-Denso Remanufactured Alternator Alert! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently my alternator quit and as it turned out the rectifier had a partial meltdown. Not being sure of the cause I ordered a new rectifier and a new voltage regulator, both from Ebay.
The rectifier is a Toyota OEM part which was purchased from Partsouq at a great price of around $65 with shipping from the UAE.
Shipping only took 3 days!! Thank you Partsouq!

2735720060 Genuine Toyota HOLDER, ALTERNATOR, W/RECTIFIER 27357-20060 | eBay

No issues with this at all.

Now, new voltage regulators are around $150 from Toyota so that was out. The closest I found was this one on Ebay for around $32.

NEW REGULATOR REPLACES DENSO NUMBERS 126000-1960, 126000-2050,126000-2200 IN453 | eBay

When I received it I noticed a few issues:
It did not have leads on the bottom like the OEM Denso part. See pics, OEM part is brown.
20190612_155318.jpg

Regardless, it tested fine on Oreilly’s test machine but I was still concerned so I contacted the seller and received a quick response. Here is the email chain:

I received the regulator today and it is missing the leads on the bottom connecting to the F terminal and the ground pad. The cavity on the bottom is empty. The oem part is epoxy filled and has the leads coming out of it. This product is supposed to match the oem part. Can you explain this?
See pics.
Thank you.

This is the correct voltage regulator that we sent to you. When we say it matches exactly the OEM Denso regulator, we mean that the internal specifications are identical to Denso regulator and that it matches or exceeds the Denso output. There may be a different "look" to the regulator as the exterior is different. The New non Denso suppliers do not have the "exact" Denso tooling, and the manufacturing critical issue is the specifications. This regulator meets all the denso specifications, and you should have no issues when you install the regulator.

We carry OEM Denso regulators that we have remanufactured/refurbished, but this regulator is not in our system as reman, we only carry new at this time.

Hope this answers your question, good luck with your alternator repair. (If you order any New regulator from eBay it will match what we sent you. Denso does not sell to the market and regulators from Denso are not available. Denso only sells complete alternators under the Denso First program.)

Phil

Thank you Phil

Then he sent:

Good luck with your alternator repair. I worked as senior executive manager at both Denso for 10 years, and for Hitachi for 15 years and know the Japanese style of business. Both manufacturers sell only to the OEM car companies their components, and I created the Denso first program where Denso sells to the market with partnerships with Delco, Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Ford, but only assemblies.....

I purchase new Motorcraft OEM as well as Delco OEM parts, know they work the best...

Thanks for understanding... We sell the best product we can find, and have a 30 year history of automotive products.

Phil

The other thing I noticed is the OEM part has a gray rubber gasket between the heat sink and the plastic base and it appears to be well sealed on the bottom all around by glue making it pretty water resistant or maybe even water proof. The aftermarket part has no gasket of any type and the glue sealing on the bottom looks questionable.
It got me to thinking:
Sometimes these alternators MAY be submerged in a deep water crossing! In this event I would want my regulator to be pretty well sealed!

So, I sealed the new one with marine epoxy for added insurance. But, and this is the reason for this post:
According to Phil, ONLY alternators remanufactured by Denso would have the quality sealed Denso regulator installed since aftermarket remanufacturers do not have access to Denso parts. So if you have a Non-Denso remanufactured alternator – BEWARE of DEEP WATER!! You may want to invest the time to yank it out to see if the regulator was replaced and if so with what, and is it sealed.
Here are pics of the Ebay one after sealing it with epoxy:
20190613_145534.jpg

20190613_145653.jpg

20190612_155344.jpg

is transpo all there is? and do you have an opinion on it? I never found good info about that brand in general online.
I used the same, just different part # for the later 100s IN6015

is transpo all there is? and do you have an opinion on it? I never found good info about that brand in general online.
I used the same, just different part # for the later 100s IN6015
I'll have the install completed today and provide feedback but according to the tech at Oreilly it tested good. It is going to take some time, though, before I have confidence in it. Can't give you any other info about it other than that.
Next time I may just go to the local U-Pull-It and get a complete alternator for parts for $36 with no core. It appears these Densos are used on a multitude of other Toyota and Chrysler models. As long as it is the same diameter and has the same plug and battery terminal im figuring the internal parts are mostly interchangeable and could be easily dissasembled and tested prior to purchasing. Or, for about $200 with shipping you can get a reman directly from Denso with guarenteed good Denso internals. The reason I keep repairing this one is it has really good slip rings with hardly any wear. In the past I purchased a Mexican reman from Auto Zone and I pulled it apart to inspect it prior to installing. The slip ringa were already tiny in diameter. It didn't even last 3 months. When I returned it they couldn't even replace it because there were no more available in their system. They had to refund my money instead. Just goes to show you never know what you are going to get with a Non-Denso reman. I will never buy another one, that's for sure. I put new brushes in my old one and put it back in the truck and it ran for 4 more years without an issue, and, the slip rings and brushes still look like new. Luckily I kept it and paid the core charge when I bought the Auto Zone one (which I got back also).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom