NOLA- A Build Story...that goes Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep an eye on the engine with the provent, they have a tendency to 'condense' the blow-by oil and put it straight back into the intake.

Have seen this a few times on various engines, some Toyota and some not, and wouldn't recommend a provent to anyone.
Will do...I haven't seen anyone report this issue before. Maybe they didn't change the filter often enough? It sounds like the filter got saturated and that could condense the oil. The SAE test I attached is pretty thorough and gave me confidence.

Nonetheless, I'll monitor it every 5k to see if there is any saturation of the filter or excess oil via return line.

Anyone else had issues with Provent?

@Dougal and @serenity are 2 I seem to remember having provent issues, and there's a few others on other forums if you google.

I'd say it'll work fine if you don't actually need a catch can. If you have the volume of oil blow-by to need one, the design is backwards from what makes sense - seems totally illogical to have the inlet above the outlet.

The FlashLube catch can has the outlet above the inlet which makes much more sense and we've had good results with these and the Process West Sepr8r.

Edit: turn the EGR off, clean the intake and don't bother with a catch can.

Last edited:
We put the HPD catch can on brand new engines. They collect 4-6oz every 3-5,000 miles on a brand new engine.

Only problem with an HPD style (screen mesh) is once full it will blow a lot of oil into the intake so they require dumping every 3-5k or every oil change.

Cheers

All right time to start detailing a bit more of my build! We've covered the transmission rebuild, engine, injector pump, injectors, turbo but not much else. Other drive train updates include a new NPC clutch and flywheel that I bought from HD Automotive in Australia. Has really smooth engagement for how heavy duty the clutch is and I am really glad I got a new flywheel too. My revs seem to be a little quicker with this lightened fly wheel vs stock.

Also, had a PDI short shifter kit installed on the H151 transmission PDI Short Shifter. Its super notchy, hard/firm and the throws are maybe 3 inches total. I had the pleasure of driving @audi2nr turbo charged car with a stock H151 situation and was impressed with how smooth his tranny shifted. His clutch was lighter than mine. I actually had trouble feeling when the clutch would release it was that smooth.

When I do a video of driving the truck I'll film a bit of the shifting. In the meantime, here is one from PDI:

Transfer case has been swapped for a HF1A transfer case rebuilt by @rick_d. I have had zero issues with it and shipping by Rick was great for such a cumbersome part.

I will look to copy @Rock40 and his 1HDFT build and install a part time kit up front when I tackle the knuckles and brakes. He and I live near each other and I was encourage by his real world experiences with part time. We both drive the same high elevation passes and I think it will help with MPG and driveablitliy and of course, wear and tear on the front axle components. But knowing the amount of free time I have in my life that could be a few months before I get to that! Lastly, I had a PDI intercooler and airbox installed. Working on a new snorkel here soon and hope to have an update on that in the next week or so.

All right time to start detailing a bit more of my build! We've covered the transmission rebuild, engine, injector pump, injectors, turbo but not much else. Other drive train updates include a new NPC clutch and flywheel that I bought from HD Automotive in Australia. Has really smooth engagement for how heavy duty the clutch is and I am really glad I got a new flywheel too. My revs seem to be a little quicker with this lightened fly wheel vs stock.

Also, had a PDI short shifter kit installed on the H151 transmission PDI Short Shifter. Its super notchy, hard/firm and the throws are maybe 3 inches total. I had the pleasure of driving @audi2nr turbo charged car with a stock H151 situation and was impressed with how smooth his tranny shifted. His clutch was lighter than mine. I actually had trouble feeling when the clutch would release it was that smooth.

When I do a video of driving the truck I'll film a bit of the shifting. In the meantime, here is one from PDI:

Transfer case has been swapped for a HF1A transfer case rebuilt by @rick_d. I have had zero issues with it and shipping by Rick was great for such a cumbersome part.

I will look to copy @Rock40 and his 1HDFT build and install a part time kit up front when I tackle the knuckles and brakes. He and I live near each other and I was encourage by his real world experiences with part time. We both drive the same high elevation passes and I think it will help with MPG and driveablitliy and of course, wear and tear on the front axle components. But knowing the amount of free time I have in my life that could be a few months before I get to that! Lastly, I had a PDI intercooler and airbox installed. Working on a new snorkel here soon and hope to have an update on that in the next week or so.

Nice, which snorkel did you pick?

Nice, which snorkel did you pick?
Moonlight; funny you should ask, I just read up on your experience with Radius. Mine hasn't been an easy install. I am not too good at body work. While the longitude of the snorkel alignment has been good with Moonlight, the snorkel extends too far inward and runs into the PDI intake/airbox. I will have to cut off maybe an inch to get it to fit. I saw you got the duckbill style valve and I might do the same although I don't plan on going through any deep river crossings.

Moonlight; funny you should ask, I just read up on your experience with Radius. Mine hasn't been an easy install. I am not too good at body work. While the longitude of the snorkel alignment has been good with Moonlight, the snorkel extends too far inward and runs into the PDI intake/airbox. I will have to cut off maybe an inch to get it to fit. I saw you got the duckbill style valve and I might do the same although I don't plan on going through any deep river crossings.
Gotcha. Do you have any pics? You probably saw on my build thread I had to cut the inlet on my PDI box as well. Are you cutting air box or snorkel?

Nice. I’ve had zero issues with my part time kit

Gotcha. Do you have any pics? You probably saw on my build thread I had to cut the inlet on my PDI box as well. Are you cutting air box or snorkel?
Yeah I saw that on your thread....I will be cutting the snorkel. The PDI airbox has a collar on the intake pipe that is great for clamping the connector hose over, the snorkel doesn't. So I think it will be more secure if I just cut the snorkel.

I will post some pictures after this weekend; hope to have it installed by Sunday night!

I recall you seeing a bump in MPG going on a trip over Blueitt pass too if I recall.

Did you put in different transfer case gears or overdrive on your transmission? Can't remember

Yes, definitely saw an increase in MPG and I also did OD transfer case gears and 3:1 low range while I was in there. Hard to say but I’d guess most of the MPG increase came from the OD gears

Time for another update, boy do I have a lot of them to catch up on....the little time I get these days I am is usually spent doing something small to the truck or working on our house and I don't have much time to get things documented. I also need to go back to the start of my thread and put in a to do list with a mod list and the corresponding post.

Truck went back into Torfab for AC compressor install, rebuild the steering box, and install manual boost controller. Also had to change out a boost sensor to a higher level boost level going from reading 1 bar up to 3 bar. I will have more on that later.

The boost level on my truck was limited by G Turbos factory waste gate at 25 PSI and from my gauge I rarely saw peak boost above 24 PSI so I think the blow off comes on a little sooner than what the waste gate was set to. The new boost controller is from Grimm Speed and has manual adjustments by .25 psi and goes up to 60 PSI (don't I wish) :p Great controller with a nice machine finish: Grimm Speed Boost Controller. Boost is now set at 30 PSI, we'll see how this goes for a bit before moving up to the 32 PSI that G Turbo recommended.

Other items to note, I got an upgraded, heavier duty fan clutch from an outfit in Australia and I am very happy with it. Apparently its highly recommended by some Aussies that tow a lot. I am not sure what other 1HD-FTs are running at for engine temps but at 55 degrees my motor has about a 160 temp after driving for awhile. Here is a link to the fan clutch I got, even came with the fan blade: QIKAZZ Fan Clutch. For a radiator, we are using the1FZ-FE radiator that I already had that has less than 20k miles on it and of course its paired with the PDI intercooler. Part of me wanted to put on the diesel radiator I had but and added bonus is I can still get this radiator in the US almost anywhere. If I did upgrade, I would look to Terrain Tamers, they seem to have a pretty solid one, no welds, solid cast, thicker core.

Next project will be tailgate storage install followed by the snorkel install. I had to take a break on the snorkel because it was too deep in the fender to match up with the PDI air box and I got a bit frustrated after working on it for a week. So I walked away and will tackle it next week because metal cuts are permanent!

Finally, here is a video of the motor on start up. Later when I get some free time, I will post up some videos with some driving around.....maybe even a burnout ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom