noisy voltage regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys need your input again., 1980 fj40....when cold and at higher rpm my voltage regulator is noisy....at first i tought my engine was giving me problems but after further checking my VR is producing that noise......works perfectly though...charging my battery as expected but you can hear that( click click click hard )until it warms up and sometimes even warm will do it for a short while !!!! should i change it (that's toyota oem) or buy an aftermarket...or just forget the noise?

Well, I don't know much about that stock voltage regulator, or anything electrical really, but I've heard that you can take the cover off of those and fiddle with the innards. Maybe clean up the contacts inside, like you would clean the points on a dizzy.
LandCruisers seem to respond well to little things like that.

Mine started making noise just like that. At first no problems with charging then all of a sudden it was intermittent charging. I tried adjusting but it didn’t fix it.
I broke down and bought a new nippondenso unit and all is well.
Worth trying to adjust with a factory manual.

bought a new one ., made in USA.., echlin brand $136 (ouch)....couldn;t find any oem in Moncton(napa)...works good so far 12.87 volts with all acc. on at 1200 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom