Noisy throwout bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I finally got my rebuilt engine up and running, ( I need to update the thread for sure) I am super pumped. Rebuilt 2f, rebuilt transfer case, and a brand new H55 five speed. I'll get into more detail about that in the rebuild thread. Back to the throwout bearing. I ordered a clutch kit from Cruiser Corps and when i was installing it I noticed the new throwout bearing was not as thick as the old throwout bearing. I called them and asked about it, sent pictures etc..and they got back to me and said the thickness did not matter. I said "ok cool" and proceeded with the install.

So now I've got this brand new engine up and purring, and there is a super loud chirping noise coming from the clutch. I crawl under the truck and confirm it is the throwout bearing. I can use the clutch fork to pull it off of the pressure plate and the noise stops. I've done some research on here which includes reading @mwebfj60 s very informative thread on throwout bearings. I have a 04/85 truck so it does not have the return spring and it is meant to have the throwout bearing in contact with the clutch at all times. With the smaller thickness throwout bearing it seems like it is just skimming the fingers the whole time and making a super loud noise.

I've looked through the FSM and started adjust the clutch pedal, but i'm not sure it will fix it, I had to quit for the night before I froze. Any suggestions from the people way smarter than me? TIA

I guess the other thought I had while I’m sitting here thinking about this is that I might need to rebuild/buy a new slave cylinder. ?

This is why people here say use genuine Toyota parts when they're available. Not only is that throw out bearing dimensionally wrong, its malfunctioning.

Only Toyota dealers can sell genuine Toyota parts, or a non Toyota shop can sell them to you, but they're buying it from Toyota and seliing it (with a markup) back to you.

Third party land cruiser shops/off road shops don't sell Toyota parts because they can't make any money on them. So they find the closest available simily and sell it instead. Often it's not the same in several ways. Sometimes they work good enough--- but in your case - NOT.

What's happening with your shallow height aftermarket T.O. bearing is it's dragging on the clutch spring tangs. It's not rotating the bearing, it's grinding the springs.

The way that particular bearing works is it needs spring tension applied to it (from the spring loaded slave cylinder) to press it hard enough against the clutch spring tangs to give it enough grip to spin the bearing-- not grind in it.

At this point- the easiest emergency workaround (without dropping the transmission to replace the bearing) is to replace the slave cylinder with a GENUINE TOYOTA SLAVE. No, not one "that will work" or a cheaper non Toyota unit. Get the original one.
I've had bad luck with aftermarket slave cylinders on this year of cruiser (spring loaded t.o. bearing) because their internal spring is weaker and doesn't apply enough pressure to the bearing---- and it ends up screeching just like yours is doing.

If that doesn't fix the problem (new slave), drop the tranny and replace the bearing with the expensive Toyota one.

If you had the old stock one and cross referenced the number and manufacturer you might be able to find a non OEM identical bearing....but that’s a lot of work if the OEM one is still available.

And when failure means pulling apart the driveline to replace a simple part it’s less about the cost of the bearing and more of the headache to get to it

Thanks @OSS. I guess in my lack of knowledge I assumed that the Aisin clutch kit was a good one to buy. I have a new slave cylinder ordered from Stevinson Toyota West and I will put that on as soon as it gets here and see if that helps the problem. Here is the difference in the two and its the same picture I sent to @Cruiser Corps back in August before I assembled everything.
image1 (1).jpeg

I do have a call in to them and I am waiting for one of their mechanics to call me back to get their take on it.

@Seth S yeah i just found what I think is the right bearing from the local Toyota dealer, I don't mind ordering it, but I sure as hell don't want to drop the transmission transfer case right now after I got it all back together. What a PITA.

I’m sure anyone who has ever fixed something has experienced this headache.

@Seth S for sure, although I rarely get the time to work on the 60 so its been a 2 year process getting the engine and transfer case rebuilt, adding a new 5 speed etc...so I was super excited to get the thing driving again. A major project like dropping the trans again is a pretty big downer. Ah well, nothing to do but keep moving forward, maybe the new slave cylinder will do the trick.

Thanks @OSS. I guess in my lack of knowledge I assumed that the Aisin clutch kit was a good one to buy. I have a new slave cylinder ordered from Stevinson Toyota West and I will put that on as soon as it gets here and see if that helps the problem. Here is the difference in the two and its the same picture I sent to @Cruiser Corps back in August before I assembled everything. View attachment 2131294

I do have a call in to them and I am waiting for one of their mechanics to call me back to get their take on it.

@Seth S yeah i just found what I think is the right bearing from the local Toyota dealer, I don't mind ordering it, but I sure as hell don't want to drop the transmission transfer case right now after I got it all back together. What a PITA.
I have no idea what that TO bearing is.
Left is the OEM Toyota, Right is an AISIN.
the OEM toyota is flatter on the top than the AISIN but the same thickness.

P1180706.JPG

I have an 04 sprinter van with 345,000 miles on it. I had an exhaust manifold leak on the #5 cylinder for a long time and I finally found a shop willing to repair it. It was not a job I had any interest in doing and was well worth the $1000 it cost them to fix. They pulled the engine, pulled the manifold, replaced broken studs, had the manifold machines flat and reinstalled everything. They also asked if I wanted anything else replaced while I was in there. I couldn’t think of anything.

Got the van back and it drove better than ever and it was fantastic for 25 miles. Then I took a load of debris to the dump and when I tried to start the van it just cranked and no start. Bad crankshaft position sensor. $25 part. Hard to get to and mine was seized in the block. Easy repair with driveline out. Only way to get sensor out now is pull the transmission and tap sensor out 🤬. Needless to say the van hasn’t moved under its own power in 2 years. So don’t feel so bad 😉

I dropped my transmission twice to replace AN AFTERMARKET clutch disc that was acting up (juddering) a few weeks after I installed it. (20 years ago) After That fiasco, I learned my lesson and said no more non Toyota parts if ever possible.

@Seth S for sure, although I rarely get the time to work on the 60 so its been a 2 year process getting the engine and transfer case rebuilt, adding a new 5 speed etc...so I was super excited to get the thing driving again. A major project like dropping the trans again is a pretty big downer. Ah well, nothing to do but keep moving forward, maybe the new slave cylinder will do the trick.
To make you feel better, I dropped my trans like 3 times trying to find that problem (change the pilot bearing, change the TO bearing). 2 new Toyota TO bearings and pilot bearings and after changing the clutch slave the problem was fixed. All in my garage without lifting the 60. I tell you that is a PITA, but at this point I am damn good at lining it up.

Just ran into the same problem with the same kit from the same company. Looks like I had the Aisin bearing in the clutch when I get it, but this new bearing is obviously not the right part. I wonder if the clutch/pressure plate will work correctly once I get the right bearing. @Chad717 you might want to check the pilot bearing they sent as well. When I installed mine it was binding. Got an oem one of those too and it spins nice and freely now.
IMG_20191112_142833.jpg
IMG_20191112_143137.jpg

@findtherightlin glad you caught it before install. Wonder whats up with them sending these bearings. I figure they probably work just find on the pre 84 whatever trucks because the clutch fork pulls the TO bearing off the clutch fingers. Mine drives and shifts just fine, it just squeals like crazy when you release the clutch and the transmission is in neutral.

@findtherightlin glad you caught it before install. Wonder whats up with them sending these bearings. I figure they probably work just find on the pre 84 whatever trucks because the clutch fork pulls the TO bearing off the clutch fingers. Mine drives and shifts just fine, it just squeals like crazy when you release the clutch and the transmission is in neutral.
Of the 4 different companies I've used to source parts for my H55 install I've been most disappointed with cruiser corps. Called them a few different times with questions and no one ever called back. Thank God for mud.

Just ordered the bearing from my local dealer..... $154. Can't believe the cost of some of these oem parts.

2 new muffler bearings for the 60 cost $70 from my dealer. But if they last 10 years I’m good.

Of the 4 different companies I've used to source parts for my H55 install I've been most disappointed with cruiser corps. Called them a few different times with questions and no one ever called back. Thank God for mud.

x2 on this. They were pretty much useless when I had some questions about brake rebuild kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom