Noisy Speedo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok,

My truck must be a true Southerner....(I think it was sold in Raleigh NC originally).

No issues until the other morning, our FIRST cold morning (about 39-40 degrees)

I had nor have any real wobbles I've read about when I searched.

My speedo was making a grinding sound, it works, but you can actually feel it vibrate through the dial.

Does not seem to be a cable or TC gear issue.

When I drove it at lunch (much warmer) it was gone.

Repeat for everyday this week. Only does it when it is cold.

I would think it needs lube, but it was mentioned cleaning needed as well with brake fluid.

Thoughts? Kind of grease/lube?

i know on my 4runner i have a little click in the speedo at low speeds and when I first start the truck,. I've never tried to figure it out and it never really bothered me, but i'm not sure what it is. :)

If the needle jumps it's probably the cable. You can replace it alone without the housing - run brake cleaner through the housing & blow it out with a compressor. Then lube the new cable with synthetic grease before sliding it in.

My speedo clicks....kinda bugs me. Will have to give it a try, thanks for the info.

I changed my speedometer cable to new oem one but after changing, speedometer needle vibrates very much at 40~50km range.
Is it a general thing or problem ?

Oh, Min Seok

Mine chirps like I have a nest full of baby birds in my dash, worst around 40mph. Kinda entertaining. I know I need to just pull the cable and grease, just too lazy...

Sounds like the bearings in the speeds are going bad..

Think of how a speeds works.

A little rod (cable thingie that connects the speedo to the tranny) spins faster and faster.
There are some bearings/bushings (I can't remember which) and basically a viscous coupler that allows slip between the speedo cable and the speedo indicator. When the fluid goes bad it starts to whine. And eventually will sieze up. Typically killing the cable at the same time.

aah...so your saying I should get one of those roof mounted wind reader things instead?

lowtideride said:
aah...so your saying I should get one of those roof mounted wind reader things instead?
You mean a GPS speedo???

Yes

:flipoff2:

Actually, most speedos can be rebuilt. I have a spare set of gauges in my 60 that I can take a look at to see what it takes. If it is plastic that is glued together try a bit of Kroil on it and ho[e for the best.

zcruiser said:
Mine chirps like I have a nest full of baby birds in my dash, worst around 40mph. Kinda entertaining. I know I need to just pull the cable and grease, just too lazy...

Bingo!

FIxed it this past Sunday. Just took the dash panel cover off, disconnected the cable, and sprayed white lithium grease onto cable end, and into the female part on the back of the speedo.

It was so easy to get to, I figured if it did not help I would go in deeper.

No noise this morning!!! (and less needle jump)

Lubeing up the female end typically gets rid of the squeaking....

;)

Mace said:
You mean a GPS speedo???

Yes

No, no no, so I can tell how fast I am going by looking at the wind speed :D
Duhh, Mace I thought we were on the same level :flipoff2:

lowtideride said:
No, no no, so I can tell how fast I am going by looking at the wind speed :D
Duhh, Mace I thought we were on the same level :flipoff2:
I knew what you were talking about. I just wanted to redirect you from something that might make you think your 60 could do 80 during a hurricane....

:flipoff2:

And by the way, I am on a much lower level than you are ;)

Mace said:
I knew what you were talking about. I just wanted to redirect you from something that might make you think your 60 could do 80 during a hurricane....

Somtimes, I can sit my drive way and hit speeds of 35mph. ;)

lowtideride said:
Obviously I am too late...

:hanginghead:

lowtideride said:

I already replied to this once. And saw it take.

What gives??

lowtideride said:

A pitot tube won't do you much good if you have a head- or tail-wind :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom