Noisy Speedo Cable (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The speedo cable on my 1991 Toyota truck is making quite a bit of noise, and needs to be lubed. I tried lubing it from the transmission end, but that didn't stop the noise. How do I get at the cable from the speedometer end? I need something other than "take the dash apart." ;)

Well...........

Take the dash apart, disconnect speedo cable and lube.........

Really, what do you want us to tell you? Which way to turn the Screwdriver?
Cheers,
Dan

Well, never had a 91 p/u, but my 94 4runner, buddies 91 4runner, my 81 p/u and my 85 p/u all had two screws pointing upwards directly in line with the tach and speedo.(under the gage cluster overhang.) Remove those screws by turning Counter clockwise, (lefty loosey) and that piece should be loose, It may or may not have a couple of plastic clips to hold in the edges or possibly another screw hiding somewhere. this will reveal the retaining screws for your gage cluster. Remove these in the above prescribed manner and pull gently on cluster. If you managed to remove all of them it should move enough to access the back...........Do I need to go on?????????

Seriously, did you even look at the dash before asking here?

Cheers and Good Luck,
Dan

Seriously, did you even look at the dash before asking here?
Dan

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I didn't think that accessing the back of the insturment cluster was as easy as removing a couple of screws.
Here is a link to the FSM section on the dash in case others stumble across this thread trying to silence the speedo cable:
93 FSM Insturment Panel

:beer:

I was able to disconnect the speedo cable on my 90 and lube it without tearing apart the dash. I can't recall exactly how I did it (it was nearly 10 yrs ago!) but I'm pretty sure I was able to reach it from underneath. Hint: small arms and hands help.

I know it's a bigger job than on the 84-88/9 dashes.... But it's been a while since we had our 90 4Runner. in my experience, a lot of people spend more time pissin' and moaning about the job that needs to be done than the job actually takes to do.... Just get in there and do it! :D

Change it, why lube it up... it will only start to make noise again soon.

It doesnt cost a fortune...

Regarding the dash.... The bolts you find... remove them... Start with glowe compartment and work your way through.

....its not brain surgery:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom