noisy saginaw p.s. pump replaced reman'd with new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
the front bearing on my saginaw p.s. pump is a bit noisy. Kinda like a swishing sound. Quiets down with quick shot of spray lube, but within a day it comes back. The p.s. pump is a reman'd pump that has been installed for about 6 months. Is there anyway to lube the bearing without disassembly? I'm afraid things will go south but am tired of replacing p.s pumps and borrowing the pulley removal/install tool and doing all that. I am considering a new sag P pump and pulley from Amazon with a pulley that is NOT pressed on but has a nut and keyway, something like this: Amazon product ASIN B01D0L7REM

Interesting. From the description that looks like a good pump, new parts not remanufactured.

If you go this route I’d like to know about the pulley that you source. Please let us know how it all works out.

Was your belt too tight?

Was your belt too tight?
I thought of that. I assume an over-tightened belt will put undo pressure on the shaft which would prematurely wear the bearing. I usually go by feel and am able to pull and inch or so of belt as I tension. (edit) admittedly I do not use a belt tension gauge.

I thought of that. I assume an over-tightened belt will put undo pressure on the shaft which would prematurely wear the bearing. I usually go by feel and am able to pull and inch or so of belt as I tension. (edit) admittedly I do not use a belt tension gauge.

the old belt twist trick works pretty well. Shouldn’t be able to roll the belt more than 90 degrees.

Those cheap remans use cheap Chinese bearings. Just sayin' ...

I replaced my pump with the CVF racing pump with the 5/8th inch shaft and keyway. This one:

Amazon.com: Black Saginaw Power Steering Pump Keyway Shaft: Automotive

and bought this pulley:

Amazon.com: A-Team Performance Power Steering Pump Pulley Steel Key-Way Single Groove Saginaw Pump 5/80 Keyway Bore Compatible with 1955-72 GM Chevy Chevrolet Chrome: Automotive

I like that I don't need a tool set to remove and install a pulley. It's held on by a lock nut supplied with the pump. The pulley shown above from Amazon fits the 5/8th keyway but the V groove that the belt goes in is too narrow....like a 1/2 wide or maybe even 3/8 wide V belt. TOO SKINNY! I'm using Georg's belt from the saginaw kit, it is a little big and doesn't go all the way down into the pulley. I'm running it in the vehicle but I need to find another pulley. One with a wider single V groove but still with a 5/8th keyway bore. Ideally it would fit the original stock toyota V belt but at least has to be as wide as the belt Georg supplied. I don't think a narrower belt size will work with the stock alt. pulley. If anyone has Georg's belt and can give me the #s off of it that may be helpful. Mine ..the #s are worn off. @orangefj45

Also if someone knows the size width/depth of the V of the toyota belt...or the alphabetic number designation of the V belt that would help.

My new pump started whistling by the second day. Although not as loud. I don't think that I'm overtightening the belt but wonder if ATF instead of power steering fluid will cause this. I'm a bit scared to swap to ps fluid as I don't want the steering gearbox to start leaking. The pump does feel stronger and smoother than the reman'd autozone pump.

Last edited:
I think an FJ40/60 belt is a 'B' size, but refer to the attached PDF.

Attachments

• Form_9806E.pdf
    538.1 KB · Views: 36
when I was a young oblivious lad, I used power steering fluid in the Toyota pump for a while. The pump never developed leaks but it would groan on cold mornings. When I became enlightened, I read the manual and discovered that I made a boo boo. I switched over to ATF and the groaning on cold mornings stopped.

Ideally it would fit the original stock toyota V belt but at least has to be as wide as the belt Georg supplied. I don't think a narrower belt size will work with the stock alt. pulley. If anyone has Georg's belt and can give me the #s off of it that may be helpful. Mine ..the #s are worn off.

The belt that Georg supplies is a duralast 17620...

I have a FJ62 alternator instead of the stock 60 one (using an un-modified 60 bracket). Georg's belt was the wrong size for me so I purchased 5 or 6 different belts from autozone with the same width but different lengths until I got it right. I asked Georg about running the skinny belt with the stock pulley on the alternator and he said it was fine. Since I got my belt length dialed in no problems.

ATF should be the right stuff... I never use PS fluid.

Last edited:
Interesting. From the description that looks like a good pump, new parts not remanufactured.

If you go this route I’d like to know about the pulley that you source. Please let us know how it all works out.
Seems you had some insight on this. I haven't found a good one yet. May have to switch back to a crappy autozone pump if I can't find a solution.

@g-man no not really, I was just commenting on the pump you showed in your post #1. The description says ‘new parts not remanufactured’.

This is the stuff I used when I went Saginaw:
1) Oreilly’s Sag pump 732-2137
2) Dorman cap 82581
3) Napa belt 25-9620-HD
4) pulley 7-3118

@g-man no not really, I was just commenting on the pump you showed in your post #1. The description says ‘new parts not remanufactured’.

This is the stuff I used when I went Saginaw:
1) Oreilly’s Sag pump 732-2137
2) Dorman cap 82581
3) Napa belt 25-9620-HD
4) pulley 7-3118
Yes, I thought that a NEW rather than rebuilt would net better results, less bearing noise. And I did like the idea of an easily removable pulley. May still be made with cheap Chinese bearings though.

I'll have to take a pic of the belt in the pulley so you guys can tell me what you think.

I've been thinking that it may not be to hard to make a spacer from 18mm tubing the adapt a stock toyota pulley to the saginaw 5/8 keyway shaft. It would have to be a little longer than the pulleys thickness and have to cut a bit of it out to wedge the keyway. By my calculations it would have to be around 1.06 mm thick.

Is the belt too big for the pulley?

20210105_123801.jpg

20210105_123751.jpg

20210105_123737.jpg

20210105_123704.jpg

That looks pretty big, prob will work...but if it were me:

1) I’d remove that belt and keep it in my spare belt bag, and then...
2) go with the one Georg recommends or it’s Napa equivalent # 25-9620 HD

Actually I wish that that Napa belt was a bit larger...but if it’s good enough for Georg, it’s good enough for me. And as I remember in Georg’s Saginaw thread there was a rather heated discussion on which belt was best...and Georg stuck to his guns with his recommendation.

That is Georg's belt. 62017 13A1575 Duralast 17620 because it's 13A it is 13mm across the top, a normal A size would be 1/2 inch or about 1/3 a mm smaller. Not sure if it will get the belt much more in the groove. I read that debate also. Seems Georg liked the smaller belt because it was closer to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom