noisy saginaw p.s. pump replaced reman'd with new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to try and put a spacer in my original Toyota pulley and use it. Ordered a couple steel bushings. 5/8 ID x 3/4 OD. My thought is to try and use it as a spacer. I will drill out the pulley to 3/4 inch. Which is just a hair bigger than it is now 19mm? Cut a keyway into the bushing and then press it into the pulley. Then weld the bushing to the pulley on the side of the pulley.

Another way I could try and NOT drill with 3/4 inch drill, cut a keyway slot in the bushing first (while it's easy to access) then press it into the pulley. Like a slot that goes completely through the wall of the bushing.
. I know this will collapse it a bit. Then weld it, then file out the slot if necessary to fit the key. Also this way I will have to drill out the 5/8 ID again after it is in place b/c it will probably shorten. I know the bushing will move and the Inside diameter get smaller.

I have run a fat Land Cruiser belt on a skinny minitruck PS pump pulley for years with no issues.

I tried plan B and put the 5/8x3/4 bushing on a 7/16 nut driver bit attached to a drill. Turned the drill while working an angle grinder on the outside of the bushing to take off material. Got down to the size where I could fit it in the toyota pulley. then tried cut a slot in it for the keyway. It broke under pressure in the vice. At this point it was pretty thin. I heard it crack and when I tried to press it into the pulley it broke. I still thought I could use it so put both pieces in the pulley and used a small screwdriver in the keyway slot to push the crack tight between the 2 pieces. Then welded it to the pulley. After some filing it still was too tight for the p/s pump shaft. Pressing it into the pulley collapsed it a bit. (I figured it would) Now I need to get a 5/8 drill bit and try and drill it out. It's about .15 mm to thick. I'm realizing you need a machine shop to do this kind of work. No telling how true the pulley will run on the pump. But it's an old beat up pulley so I thought I would chance it.

If this doesn't work I may grind off the weld and remove the bushing. And go with plan A. Drilling out the pulley to 3/4 and try again with a thicker bushing.

Drilling out the bushing with 5/8th bit worked. It's on the truck and fits. The bore of the pulley where it meets the lock nut on the shaft could stand to be grinded down a MM or 2. Looks like the nut could go on another thread or 2 more. The bushing resides in the front 2/3 of the pulley bore. But I haven't really put a lot of torque on the nut. It may be possible that I can torque it more and move the pulley and nut further up on the shaft. I will contact CVF racing and find out if there is a torque spec for the nut. Plenty of space on the shaft between the pump and pulley maybe as much as 1/8th inch or more.. but the nut fits on and has plenty of threads to hold it. Fan about 3/8 in from the pulley. Belt fits and looks to line up pretty good with the other pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom