Noisy Power Steering Belt 92 3FE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Back in October my power steering belt started to whine. I figured this was due to the colder weather and the fact the belt was NOT OEM and it was also a cogged belt.

I got a new OEM belt from CDan (which is also cogged) installed it started the truck drove around the block and the noise was back. The belt was pretty loose so I increased the tension and then decreased it some more. The noise will not go away regardless of tension.

However pouring water or spraying belt dressing on the belt makes the noise go away temporarily.

1) Could it be a pulley?

2) Any advice would be appreciated. I have read that the 1fz sometimes has issues with the tensioner pulley, but am unsure if that is the same for the 3FE.

Thanks in advance.

HEFE

I got a new OEM belt from CDan (which is also cogged)

Really?? I didn't think they were. (But admittedly, I don't have an OEM belt on mine right now. :eek: :lol:)

As to your other question, sure seems like your water test definitely points to the belt itself.

Curtis

The OEM belts on my 3FE are not cogged, however, it is very hard to get them right so that they don't squeek. IME proper tensioning of the OEM belt(s) seem to be the key to avoiding the squeeks in the 3FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEFE
I got a new OEM belt from CDan (which is also cogged)

Really?? I didn't think they were.

I did not think so either from what I have read. But I trust Dan knows what he is sending.

The thing I hate the most is when people tell me my waterpump is going out. When I say it is just the belt they give me the look like :rolleyes: OK buddy!

I know this is old but, Did you figure out the secret to not squeaking? On my 3fe when I replace the belts it is quiet for a month or 2 then the squeak is back.

I know this is old but, Did you figure out the secret to not squeaking? On my 3fe when I replace the belts it is quiet for a month or 2 then the squeak is back.

Late reply sorry. I tend to enjoy my truck and use mud as a "ask the guys who know". I will be better at sharing what I have learned. Mine never actually squeaked but it would groan. The thing that bugged me the most was the noise it made in the winter. It sounded like a old American car that was about ready to have the water pump go out. I had that happen on my 79 Trans Am and my 79 Ford F100. Whenever I went to the gas station someone would tell me my water pump was going out.

Long story short I rebuilt my Power steering pump and changed my belt. My power steering pulley wobbles? Not sure why but somethings bent.

I have a used spare in the garage that eventually I will rebuild and put on the truck.

When I rebuilt the original it got rid of the growl. It did have a very small leak before being rebuilt.

I changed from OEM to Gates on the power steering belt and it got rid of the 70's water pump sound. Winter is coming so I will see how it does.

If squeaking I have found to loosen alternator belt first. Adjust power steering belt first and then readjust alternator belt. It has always helped for me when it squeaks.

I have the FSM but everybody knows how to adjust belts right.;)

HEFE

If squeaking I have found to loosen alternator belt first. Adjust power steering belt first and then readjust alternator belt. It has always helped for me when it squeaks.
Belts should be adjusted from inner to outer. The alternator/water pump belt should be adjusted first because the alternator is the adjustment and the large outer belt rides on the alternator pulley.
The large outer belt has 2 possible adjustment points (idler pulley and PS pump) and you must play with them in order to get the correct wrap and contact patches to avoid the belt from slipping on the crank pulley.
If your OEM non-cogged belts are making noise, then chances are they're loose.
OEM belts for both the 3FE and 1FZ-FE are not cogged. If you have cogged belts, they're incorrect.

I know this is almost 6 years old but do you have a step by step on rebuilding your power steering pump? I’m having the same issue and have a spare pump I want to rebuild. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

I know this is almost 6 years old but do you have a step by step on rebuilding your power steering pump? I’m having the same issue and have a spare pump I want to rebuild. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Starts on page SR-16 in the Toyota FSM and is a complete step by step guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom