1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Front Driveline

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by dogboy, Dec 31, 2003.

1. dogboy

dogboy

O.K. Gurus, here's one for you that I just discovered while playing in the snow yesterday:

While moving forward with 4WD engaged and no load placed on the motor (i.e. coasting/foot off the gas), the front driveline makes a bad vibrating type of noise. It does not make the noise as soon as I get on the gas and hold a constant speed or accelerate, nor does it make the noise when the 4WD is disengaged. Note: it didn't make this noise in 4WD before I installed the new suspension and bigger tires (complete OME with castor correction shims and 33x10.5's).

I'm suspecting the U-Joints don't like the new angle of the driveline despite the shims or that the splines on the driveshaft are off by a spline or two as a result of being disassembled/reassembled when the suspension went on.... ??????

What do you guys think?

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

your sure the ujoint haven't ust given out?
    my 40 is pretty stock with a skyjacker 4" and 33x10.5's and i've got no angle problems at all.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Are all fasteners tight?

Condition of joints are in question as is the proper phase(u-joint allignment) and the condition of the slip/stub.

When was the last time a grease gun hit the zerks?

You do not, or should not anyways, have a CV front shaft in that year, correct?

Verify above on list what you have found.

-Steve

4. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Check the fluid level in your transfer case.

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

unlock the hubs and place transfer in 2hi, crawl under and spin the shaft by hand.
    report back.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">