Noise while turning after knuckle rebuild, steering work, and new suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I had some work done recently and haven't driven much at all since then for various reasons but I've noticed a few times that I'll hear like a squeak or rubbing sound, like rubber on tile when I'm bringing the steering wheel back to straight from a right turn. I don't know exactly how to reproduce it but think it is from turns of at least 90 degrees and when going back to straight. If it's during left turns I don't know.

The truck received a full knuckle rebuild, power steering fluid flush with new high and low P hoses and filled with ATF, and a new stock height suspension with OME heavy front, medium rear springs and Tokico shocks all around.

Any advice on areas to look at or how to provide more diagnostic information? The shop is very reputable but I haven't had a chance to ask them yet.

I'm also in the midst of trying to replace a clogged cat so posting here to hopefully figure out what's wrong in advance of my first big road trip with the cruiser.

Check your power steering fluid level. Sometimes after a little use the level drops after a refill.

Are you sure the sounds comes from outside the cab?

Stabilizers can do weird s*** sometimes. Maybe it's not tight or not on right.
Thanks will start there.
Check your power steering fluid level. Sometimes after a little use the level drops after a refill.
Good point, will check that. It did sound a bit like a wom wom wom sound that I've read other posts about...I had the classic seepage which is why I had high pressure line changed. It's been my experience that fixing one thing (in this case removing a pressure release) can put the pressure elsewhere. Hopefully the pump is fine but I'll start with adding some fluid if it looks low.
Are you sure the sounds comes from outside the cab?
Yeah pretty sure, I've checked with windows open and closed.
Did they change Panhard bushings?

Cheers
No I don't believe they did...is that the awkwardly angled one here?
20-0823_Knuckle_Bushing.jpg

Nope. That's just a tie rod end. Panhard bar is the bar between that rod and axle with the funky bends in it.

^what he said

The reason I asked is because the front and rear panhards have the same OD on bushings but ID is not the same. If a rear is put in front you got slop on the bolt to bushing and when the wheel is turned it makes a thunk-clunk noise.

Cheers

Check the steering rod gasket through the firewall. It could be just coincidence that the noise started after the steering work. I have a similar problem but I know that my gasket is bad. When turning the wheel the gasket rubs the rob and makes a squeaking sound.

I've also found that new tierod ends can make a squeak as well but they're not very loud.

I did a little more test driving -- I can reproduce the sound now and it's definitely only while turning back from a right turn and more pronounced when I go back quickly. Couldn't do it on lefts.

I checked PS fluid level and it looked good. It still looked reddish (ATF). I'm not sure how to check the fluid rise (FSM SR-7) - is there a good method to measure how much it rises? Maybe stick something in the reservoir while idling and while stopped?

It's been suggested that I check knuckles for grease level which I will do in the upcoming dryer weather. I'll also stick a wrench on the steering stabilizer, maybe that didn't go back on correctly.

My recent work by the shop included "Lube front and rear drive shafts" but one member also mentioned I should consider doing the zerks if I'm not sure they were included.

Btw here's a similar thread I found: Turning Noise, not clicking

Nope. That's just a tie rod end. Panhard bar is the bar between that rod and axle with the funky bends in it.
^what he said

The reason I asked is because the front and rear panhards have the same OD on bushings but ID is not the same. If a rear is put in front you got slop on the bolt to bushing and when the wheel is turned it makes a thunk-clunk noise.

Cheers
Ah got it. I'm pretty sure they weren't changed but will check on that.
Check the steering rod gasket through the firewall. It could be just coincidence that the noise started after the steering work. I have a similar problem but I know that my gasket is bad. When turning the wheel the gasket rubs the rob and makes a squeaking sound.

I've also found that new tierod ends can make a squeak as well but they're not very loud.
Ah interesting - I looked at the gasket but doesn't look like it's interfering. Were you able to make it rub while on the ground? I do have a lot of freeplay -- the FSM test for steering wheel free play (page SR-6) says about 40mm or 1.57in is normal. I didn't measure but maybe I'll try adjusting it. Also realized I definitely need an alignment. How's your PS pump? I'm wondering if maybe now that the high and low P lines aren't leaking that it's feeling more pressure or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom