Noise sounds like driving on washboard at high speeds!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife mentioned to me couple of days ago that while driving around town, she head a noise that sounds like the vehicle is being driven on a washboard/corrugated road at high speeds. While driving today, I heard something similar twice only for about 2 seconds. My speed was around 15 mph, both driveshaft operational, no CDL engagement. This particular vibration was felt throughout the vehicle and NOT through the steering.

I know this was discussed in the past recently but wasn't sure of the topic to start the searching process. Temps have been very cold in the Midwest and the vehicle did see lots of water previous sat in Badlands.

I'll start by removing both front drive plate and spinning the wheels. In the rear, i'll move the axle out enough to disengage the hubs and do the same. I'll check all gear oil level also.

Let me know if anyone can think of that thread or have any ideas on what this noise is about.

Thanks.

Ali

Dry spindle bushing perhaps?

how are your spark plugs and spark plug wires?

I had bad wires once and the vibration you described seems like what I experienced when the engine was running on less than 6 cylinders. the vibration of the engine was transmitted through the entire body of the rig.

Dry spindle vote #3. Check your 4 lower knuckle studs/bolts as well on the off chance they're loose and the issue's much more immediate. When was your last front repack out of curiousity?

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Dry spindle vote #3. Check your 4 lower knuckle studs/bolts as well on the off chance they're loose and the issue's much more immediate. When was your last front repack out of curiousity?

DougM

Thanks for the input. My last repack was during this summer sometime. I wonder why it went dry or why the grease isn't making its way in there? If the knuckle bolts are tight, I'll be taking the passenger side birf out this morning so let's see what's going on in there.

Incidentally, this may explain another very subtle vibe that I've been feeling from the front drivetrain for a long time. It's a sort of a low freq vibe at speeds 70 mph or greater with or without the front driveshaft in place. With the front DS in place, the vibe is more pronounced. However, the vibe is completely gone if I switch over to the Aisin hubs.

If the spindle is indeed dry, what are my options? Simply regrease or replace? I'm assuming that its condition isn't all that great right now if it ran dry for so long :mad:

Thanks.

Ali

It's a brass bushing in there. When mine went dry it had a hard glazed on coating inside. I used a light penatrating oil on some wet sandpaper (600 grit) and some shop towels and did my best to clean it up. I don't recommend solvents as they can further dry out the brass. Then grease the bushing and put back in. Recently I took the spindles back off and what I could not get cleaned off is now totally gone. If the bushings are real bad they can be replaced by pressing in another one.

Thanks for the info Rick. As long as the spindle isn't oblong, I guess I'll clean it up and regrease it.

When you look into the bushing there is some grooves to allow grease to travel along them. Compare the depth along those grooves to get an idea of wear. I did one axle job and the grooves on one side where almost gone. We decided to replace the whole spindle as the new ones have roller bearings instead of bushings and we were under the gun so to speak to get the truck out of my garage.

Ali,

Did you repack it, or someone else? I am wondering as this is commonly overlooked by mechanics and am wondering if this is the case here. Just more data for us.

DougM

It's Sunday and I still haven't got around to it yet. Had to put down the tile backer board yesterday morning...maybe today I'll get to it.

Doug,

According to my records, the birfs were repacked at 134535 and at 115870 miles by me. Each time, I know I put grease inside the bushing. Usually, whenver I'm in the front drivetrain for whatever reason (R&P change, axle seal, etc) I'll pull the birfs out for a clean/repack job. So, I'm not sure what's going on in there just yet but will soon find out.

The garage is heating up as I write this so hopefully within two hours I'll have the pass birf out.

Ali

Ok, here're some pics of the dry spindle. Hopefully the pics can show what I'm seeing. The grease inside is dry and I see evidence of bronze flaking from friction :frown:

I'll take some more pics after I clean everything up to see the damage.
PC110012.JPG
PC110013.JPG
PC110014.JPG

Ok, here're two shots of the brass bushing cleaned up. This is the first time, the bushing came right out of the spindle - don't know if that's good or bad!

There're definite signs of the brass wearing. However, inserting a socket revealed no discernible oblong.

So, the bushings for the 100 series is actually a roller bearing of some sort? I'm having a hard time imagining bearings in this tight spot.

CDan, what's the good shopper's price for bushing and bearing? I might as well replace the other side while I'm at it.

Thanks for the diagnosis help guys.

Ali
PC110015.JPG
PC110017.JPG

Last edited:
Good work catching it. Mine started making the noise and I couldn't figure out what it was. I was on a trail and it sounded really bad, so I slowly made my way back to town and it (likely) failed within a KM of the dealer. It sheared off at the junction and fotrunatley didn't total the front end.

Washboard or "rumple strip on the side of road to tell you that you are driving off the road" noise = stop and repack the spindle bushing ASAP!

Cheers, Hugh

My rig makes that noise on the freeway sometimes, but it's in the body at the mid or rear. I was thinking a body mount is loose. Definitely not a dry spindle bushing :).

So Ali, do you think this wear had anything to do with the Aisin hub problems you were having? I know that your birf had the marks on it from the hubs not putting the birf into the right place. Just wondering if the two are related.

Later,
Jack

If I were to use sandpaper or any other abrasive on the bushing I would be very certain to afterwards totally degrease and complete the cleaning with detergent and water.

I would start with hand cleaning with a good brush and finish with a long wash on the heavy duty setting in the automatic dishwasher. The objective is to minimize leaving any abrasives in the bushing. Using a solvent to clean would not be considered sufficient to removed embedded abrasives.

I've had the serious butt vibration for about ten days. finally traced it to a bad rear tcase u-joint. damn it is loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom