1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise Reduction

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by thor300, Mar 19, 2004.

1. thor300

thor300

Hey there- I've got a Chevy 350 V-8 in my 40 and don't get me wrong, the strength of it isn't that bad but it's really really loud. I don't have anything on the floors except paint and before I put anything like rubber mats in or whatever I was wondering if there was a way to "sound-proof" or at least sound-reduce inside the cab. Is this an impossible task? Thanks.

-Chris

2. Mike S

Mike S

A couple of things might help...

Undercoating to help reduce sound transmitted from the road and drive train under the vehicle. This MIGHT also be practical on the firewall, but I have never seen it done.

There is a foil / foam sandwich material that can be cut to shape and used under the hood, and between the carpets and floor boards.

Think about carpets AND mats.

The fundamental problem is that the bare sheetmetal acts like a speaker membrane and transmits and may even magnify the ambient sounds. Got to find ways to deaden it.

Mike S

3. guenther65

guenther65

CHECK OUT THE DURABAK THREAD. IT IS A D.I.Y. BED LINER THAT YOU COULD COAT THE INSIDE OF YOUR TUB AND FLOOR BOARDS TO HELP. I'M THINKING ABOUT UNDERCOATING MY FJ-40 WITH IT TOO. FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN ON THE WEB, IT SEEMS PRETTY EASY TO APPLY, AND TUFF STUFF TOO.

MICHAEL

4. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Hit Home Depot and grab some Peel And Seal. Poor mans Dynamat ;)

5. dogboy

dogboy

how much do you want to spend? there are a wide variety of sound deadening products out there for use in automotive and aerospace/aeronautical applications. you can find a product to fit just about any budget and any level of sound deadening you deem appropriate.

many things will "work", it's just a question of how well. the products designed specially for the purpose work very well but will cost more than the alternative methods. set a budget, decide how quiet is quiet enough for you, and go for it.

Dynamat http://www.dynamat.com/ and Cascade Audio Products http://www.cascadeaudio.com/ cater to the automotive industry. 3M makes a variety of products for use in aerospace, industrial, and automotive applications.

I used a variety of Cascade Audio products in our '60 and they work EXTREMELY well.

my 2ยข,

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

6. swank60

swank60

One thing that I've heard on the sound deadening/heat shield material is that it comes in two varieties: one absorbs heat, the other reflects it - might make a difference in your application, but I don't know. That, coupled with undercoating would be a step in the right direction.

I know that Toyota, in the Corolla, used a manufacturing method where they sandwiched a layer of, I guess it's akin to black road tar, between two layers of sheet metal. As old as mine is, it's still dead quiet...but it's a 1.6L 4cyl, not a V8.

7. fj40mayo

fj40mayo

I have the duraliner stuff inside my tub and just got finished adding some insulation and carpet from the depot. I also added CCOT's pvc mats with the heavy felt insulation in front that comes with it. It has definitly made a difference with the noise. I can still hear my case or tranny whine slightly, but it is a big improvement. Also, make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks. When I fixed one I found, that alone made a world of difference.

8. Frederik

Frederik

I back-up fj40mayo
    replace the exhaust and had my valves adjusted and that alone really makes a world of differrence

9. pvaman

pvaman

I've used the peal 'n seal stuff myself for speaker installs to seal off the door panel holes and i like it a lot. Many folks have used this across their entire truck to deaden road noise.

I'm getting ready to replace all the carpet in my 60 and i may use the peal 'n seal over the entire floor.

10. cajunfj40

cajunfj40

Would Rhino Liner work better? I think its a lot thicker than Dura Back. It may be more expensive but it is a quarter inch thick. Right?

11. jimmysally

jimmysally

Rhino works great, on my tub off I sprayed the underside as well as the interior of my 40. I could actually enjoy a road trip after that.

12. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">