Noise like a rumble strip. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'94 TLC makes an occasional front end noise like going over a rumble strip. Sometimes it pulls to right or left. Has anyone had this happen?

Dry spindle bushing.

Quick fix if you build one of these.

Bushing_Lube_Tool_2.jpg

-B-

That is a home-made (no slam) bushing greasing tool. The "correct" way to grease the spindle is to remove it and grease it and the birfield stub. The way this works is you remove the drive flange and you screw this gizmo onto the spindle like a wheel bearing nut (in fact the base is a wheel bearing nut) and you use a grease gun to force grease into the spindle past the stub shaft.

cruiserdan said:
That is a home-made (no slam) bushing greasing tool. The "correct" way to grease the spindle is to remove it and grease it and the birfield stub. The way this works is you remove the drive flange and you screw this gizmo onto the spindle like a wheel bearing nut (in fact the base is a wheel bearing nut) and you use a grease gun to force grease into the spindle past the stub shaft.
It could also be the torque converter.Try putting some shudder fix in the transmission and see if it goes away.

A torque converter would not have anything remotely to do with a steering pull and the noise would be a bit further back.

I had a dry spindle once. You should pull the spindle and clean the bushing as there is probably crap really stuck on there that simple greasing won't address. BTW, I wouldn't clean with a solvent as it will dry out the brass. Instead use a light penetrating oil. It will cut threw that crap and not dry out the bushing.

landtank said:
BTW, I wouldn't clean with a solvent as it will dry out the brass. Instead use a light penetrating oil.

Oops. Mine sat in solvent for hours. Oh well. (Maybe that's why I had to build the above tool? :D )

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom