Noise in front end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 80 landcruiser. When I turn on the lockers, I get a clicking noise in the front end when I turn. Sounds just like a bad CV joint in a FWD car. The front end was just apart to be resealed 5000 miles ago by the Dealership.

The cruiser only has 70K miles, but the PO admitted she had NEVER turned the lockers on in the 16 years she owned it. I was surprised they engaged at all?

Any suggestions?

Might be the birfs. Are you engaging the front locker on pavement?

No-I was on the grass

I'd still guess the birfs.

If you don't hear clicking when driving on pavement (unlocked), then you're probably still okay as long as you don't have soup. Just start saving your pennies to replace 'em....

They should last MUCH longer than 70K! In my experience the #1 cause of wear is running them low/empty on grease, most never check grease level. I would check/fill the grease, if low/empty they can be noisy, but often the damage/wear is done.:eek: Even if they click with the proper type/level of grease, some have run them a long time, even with wheeling, without breakage. This depends on the amount of wear.

OK-what type of grease do I put in, and how do I know when I have enough, or too much

Well I popped the filler, put a full tube in one, and 3/4 of a tube in the other before it started pushing back up the top. Drove it around--clicking stopped!

Man, now I have to go through the diffs and transfer case!

Rear end and transfer case were good. Front was low and BLACK. Have to change that?

Rear end and transfer case were good. Front was low and BLACK. Have to change that?

Yes, that is probably where your knuckle grease went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom