"Noise" from tires when turning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
When I am going about 40mph+ in a straight line everything is good and quiet. When I turn the wheel left or right just a little on a corner (higher speed highways) I hear a "noise" that sounds like it's coming from the tires. As soon as I straighten out it goes away. I have Falken Wildpeak ATs on there right now and they've been on for almost 2 1/2 years and I never noticed this noise before. BUT I did change out the driver's side CV axle with a new OEM axle and that's when I heard the sound.

Now it's very possible the sound has always been there, but whenever I change out a part I go into OCD mode listening for any noise or vibrations.

Is it possible these tires have always been a little noisy and I just never noticed it? I've never had all-terrains on a daily driver so I am just not sure what to expect, especially as they wear. Maybe wheel bearings need to be looked at?

Can you post a vid or something of the sound? What kinda sound we talking about? SquealSqueal? WumpWumpWump? SkrrtSkrrt?

Can you post a vid or something of the sound? What kinda sound we talking about? SquealSqueal? WumpWumpWump? SkrrtSkrrt?
It’s pretty faint from inside the cabin. I don’t think I could capture it in a recording. It’s more of a RRRRRRRR sound almost like the sound a mud terrain makes all the time?

Who replaced the axle? If you diy, check your work, if a mechanic, take it back to them.. after you remove the uncertainty from the recent job, maybe rotate tires and see if changes?

Sounds like a loose bearing?.
The bearings haven’t been touched since 65,000 miles so I need to service them anyway so I’ll look there.

Who replaced the axle? If you diy, check your work, if a mechanic, take it back to them.. after you remove the uncertainty from the recent job, maybe rotate tires and see if changes?
I did the axle. One thing I need to check is the snap ring. Maybe I didn’t use a thick enough one? But I did use a puller tool to get it pretty tight.

The bearings haven’t been touched since 65,000 miles so I need to service them anyway so I’ll look there.
I had a whirring noise from my bearings/spindle bearings when I installed new OEM shafts. I figured I needed to do my bearings anyways (like you are looking at) and it went away with grease. When turning the spindle bearings are taking a little more load, but if they have grease you shouldn't have any chatter.

I did notice at slow speeds the new CV axle boots made a rubber noise until they broke in as well but it was really slow speeds <5mph where I would hear it.

When I am going about 40mph+ in a straight line everything is good and quiet. When I turn the wheel left or right just a little on a corner (higher speed highways) I hear a "noise" that sounds like it's coming from the tires. As soon as I straighten out it goes away. I have Falken Wildpeak ATs on there right now and they've been on for almost 2 1/2 years and I never noticed this noise before. BUT I did change out the driver's side CV axle with a new OEM axle and that's when I heard the sound.

Now it's very possible the sound has always been there, but whenever I change out a part I go into OCD mode listening for any noise or vibrations.

Is it possible these tires have always been a little noisy and I just never noticed it? I've never had all-terrains on a daily driver so I am just not sure what to expect, especially as they wear. Maybe wheel bearings need to be looked at?
It may

it maybe the kazoo noise. There was a TSB for it. It’s the wind noise coming through from side windows. Only happens when it’s high speed and windy outside. Side wind especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom