Noise from passenger side engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaTrk

SILVER Star
Threads
So when I climb into the truck, stepping on the driver side running board I hear a kinda popping, snap clicking noise that seems to come from the passenger side engine bay. Happens 99.99% of the time after sitting overnight and rarely when driving around during the day.

can anyone give me any tips as what to check? Maybe shock related? Something just loose or needs some lube?

just got truck back from 20k service and they heard the noise but said its normal - nothing.....

My most unfavorite dealer line....... Tks

UPDATE: so now I hear the noise when someone climbs in the passenger side. Any tips on what to ck?

So jumping back in to look for suggestion..... Over this past weekend I had my 1st chance since hearing this noise, to take the truck on some back woods dirt roads. What I heard was weird.... So I get this rubbing, metal on metal kinda noise when the suspension is in action. Seems to be coming from the right side can't tell front or rear. When the suspension is in play. Do not hear the noise on city streets / highway. Just drove all the way from NC back to LA and not 1 highway sound.

Any ideas on where to look? Tks much!

All stock suspension? How many miles? Tire shop or any other mx work done lately?

Tks for asking 4gotalot.... All stock everything. 23k miles and just back from dealer 20k service. had tires rotated again, 5 tire. But the climbing in noise was there before the service and rotation. as mentioned this is the 1st chance I had to take it on dirt roads since hearing the noise and the trail noise is much different than the rubbing, clicking whatever noise. No other work done.

All stock suspension? How many miles? Tire shop or any other mx work done lately?
Tks for asking 4gotalot.... All stock everything. 23k miles and just back from dealer 20k service. had tires rotated again, 5 tire. But the climbing in noise was there before the service and rotation. as mentioned this is the 1st chance I had to take it on dirt roads since hearing the noise and the trail noise is much different than the rubbing, clicking whatever noise. No other work done.

Can you find a way to repeat the noise with some one else 5-10 feet away. I am not saying that you are hearing things but were is the noise coming from. Running board step area, RF wheel, RF wheel top area or lower area ect. Sounds will bounce off the ground and may be hard to track down the area.

Can you find a way to repeat the noise with some one else 5-10 feet away. I am not saying that you are hearing things but were is the noise coming from. Running board step area, RF wheel, RF wheel top area or lower area ect. Sounds will bounce off the ground and may be hard to track down the area.
Gonna try to duplicate certainly. When I bring it in. Dealer has been putting me off for 2 weeks now. Supposedly out of loaners due to cars being lent out for paint repair customers. I did have a passenger in the front when we heard the noise but she couldn’t tell where it was coming from. Windows were down. It was easily duplicated on rough dirt road. Not so on pavement.

so they picked the car up very last minute and I was not able to be there - its a 40 minute ride to the dealer. Anyhow, they said the latest noise was due to the spare not being lifted fully into the receiver during the last service.... The original noise they still say is "normal". Weird that I never heard it in the 1st year and 1/2.

I would ask what is making the "normal" noise. Then maybe try another auto repair shop and have them look at the item identified. If they can hear it but can't identify it, that's another sort of problem.

I had a vibration in my 100. Took it to the dealer thinking it was wheel bearings or bushings. Dealer said to put stock tires back on and bring it back if it still had issues. Worthless.

So in talking to them after the last trip, they told me that by "normal" they meant within a tolerance range, ie., not unusual. The latest noise has come back as I had a chance to get out from isolation and find a levee to ride on. 1st chance since I last got it back - guess what? The big rubbing metal on metal is still there. Weird as they told me the spare was not fully lifted and secured properly - but before it went in I had check the spare and it was secure and did not move and the T bar was properly in the space holder.... Anyhow I still have both noises. I can shake and rock and push the bumpers up and down, not a peep. But as soon as I go on the tiniest bumpy unpaved road I hear the noise. Not a peep on the highway.

I called the service dept again and asked if they lube bushings, etc on regular service visits and they told me that all the components are the new cars, mine, are sealed and nothing to lube.

Indy shop next I guess.....

so the deer hasn't been able to take the truck back in as they were out of loners due to a lot of paint re-do's they had to do on cars then COVID stuff..... Can anyone tell me what, if any suspension parts might move on a dirt/gravel road that wouldn't on a paved road? I don't understand how I can drive thousands of miles and not hear the noise but then go on the tiniest rock road and hear it.

so back to the shop hopefully next week - seems to be happening more often. this is from the hood area while stepping in the truck on the drivers side. any ideas what to check?

Hood noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom