Noise from my lx470 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

I'm having a weird tapping noise from my engine. I have changed the timing belt, tensioners and fan pulley. Still having the same noise. See attached linked video below

Video
Mine sounds the same. Its new to me. So I'm interested to see replies.

I recommend flushing the engine with 50% diesel and 50% engine oil. Mix diesel and engine oil in a bottle. Drain the old engine oil out and pour the 50/50 mix of diesel and clean engine oil in the engine. Let it run for 5 minutes, don't depress the accelerator. Just let it idle and then drain the 50/50 mix out of the crankcase. Replace the oil filter with a new filter and fill the engine with fresh good quality engine oil. This procedure will clean the inside of your car's engine and it also has 50 50 chances of fixing the tapping noise.
If engine flushing doesn't fix the problem then you need to adjust valve shims and check the clearance of the shims. If valve shim adjustment doesn't help then the noise is most likely from connecting rod bearings.

I recommend flushing the engine with 50% diesel and 50% engine oil. Mix diesel and engine oil in a bottle. Drain the old engine oil out and pour the 50/50 mix of diesel and clean engine oil in the engine. Let it run for 5 minutes, don't depress the accelerator. Just let it idle and then drain the 50/50 mix out of the crankcase. Replace the oil filter with a new filter and fill the engine with fresh good quality engine oil. This procedure will clean the inside of your car's engine and it also has 50 50 chances of fixing the tapping noise.
If engine flushing doesn't fix the problem then you need to adjust valve shims and check the clearance of the shims. If valve shim adjustment doesn't help then the noise is most likely from connecting rod bearings.
Let me check. Can I use any after market products like engine cleaning fluid ?

Let me check. Can I use any after market products like engine cleaning fluid ?
Use diesel because it's not harsh like other flushing products. Diesel has good lubrication molecules and is less expensive and less harmful than liquimoly engine flush etc.
Just mix diesel with fresh clean oil before you pour it into the crankcase. Let's suppose your car takes 7 quarts of engine oil. Mix 3.5 quarts of diesel with 3.5 quarts of clean engine oil.

Use diesel because it's not harsh like other flushing products. Diesel has good lubrication molecules and is less expensive and less harmful than liquimoly engine flush etc.
Just mix diesel with fresh clean oil before you pour it into the crankcase. Let's suppose your car takes 7 quarts of engine oil. Mix 3.5 quarts of diesel with 3.5 quarts of clean engine oil.
Sure. I will do that.

Update. When I remove this plug. (attached) the tick tick noise goes away. I will change this plug and update.

IMG_20210323_120010.jpg

That looks like the VSV valve on the evap system, right? It could be opening and closing causing the tapping noise.

So I checked my 2001 tundra with the same 4.7 engine. They sound identical. So either both my engines need some work or its normal. Mine sounds like a pulley almost. Maybe it's not identical to yours. Whats funny both my lx and tundra have 160k

I would not try to flush your engine because of these symptoms or really ever, that is not necessary. It sounds like you are on the right track if you can hear / feel the symptoms from that valve.

Sounds like most fuel injected cars I've owned. If you ever need to determine where the noise is coming from, get a long rod and touch it to various places on the engine and the other to your ear. You will very quickly locate the source.

UPDATE

Hello All. This is an update on my Lexus LX 470 2005 model

You may have seen I was posting some videos of my Engine tick tick sound. And asking for some help on it. Including the oil pressure light shows up when it reaches 120KPH.

I took to a known garage for oil pump change. And found my piston is gone. And the sound was from the piston.
Then I rebuild the entire engine

See below images of the update and the video of the first starting after rebuild.

They mechanic who did the engine rebuild is amazing. He know his stuff very well.

But still when I go at 120kph the oil pressure warning light comes up along with the high speed warning light. I'm guessing may be the speedometer. ( I have change the the pressure sensor too) which under the oil pan area.

The tapping sound is gone. And it's smooth now. Only worry the is oil pressure light coming at 120kph

IMG_20210807_174953.jpg
IMG_20210807_174957.jpg
IMG_20210807_183504.jpg
IMG_20210807_174952.jpg
IMG_20210804_122125.jpg

Awesome that you had it rebuilt! Perhaps start with oil pressure sender unit to see if that solves your issue

That's all I got, sorry man. Yours look like a 1FZ engine, which I don't know much about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom