Noise coming from transmission/TC area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help here. A couple of months ago I developed a strange rattling/whirling sound coming from what I thought was the engine bay. I pulled the serpentine belt off and checked all of the pulleys. The idler pulley seemed loose and made a very slight noise when I spun it. Everything else seemed fine. The power steering pulley/shaft did have some back and forth play on the shaft, but I think it was normal. I swapped out the idler pulley and belt with new OEM ones. The problem is still there.

Here's where I'm at right now:

The sound only happens when the engine/drive train is cold
The sound appears to be loudest under the transmission pan

I know it's not the typical TC cold weather whirl, I'm familiar with that.
It's not the header as I have DT headers.
I did a mobil 1 ATF drain/refill last week (after the problem started)

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Another note- everything is completely quiet once everything is mostly warmed up. I just changed the TC gear oil for good measure.

Okay - I figured out the problem. I narrowed the noise down to the transmission/bell housing area. I pulled the transmission pan and inspected the filter. Almost 100% plugged with caked on muck. For the record I’ve been running Mobil 1 ATF for the last 110,000 miles with multiple drain and refills and even did a complete fluid exchange a few years ago. The pump was starving for fluid, particularly when viscous while cold. Anyway, I changed the filter and everything is smooth and quiet. Check you filters! I always figured it was a coarse screen and never dropped the pan. Highly recommend doing so. I was at 230,000 miles.

C564909F-FB7D-43E0-A16C-77F296CB4B53.jpeg

I have a similar noise, it seems to go away when shifted into Neutral. If I put it in Drive and hold the brake pedal down it gets louder. The fluid was changed with Amsoil product about 20k miles ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom