Noise coming from front hub area?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so a week or two ago I posted how after putting on my caster plates my cruiser started making all sorts of thumping and clanking sounds. Well I checked the drive line and that is fine, I already put on the drop brackets so the sway bars are not hitting, I even looked at the control arms because they look like they might be hitting...but there not after looking closer. So here is the problem, today I jacked up the truck and grabbed the driver front tire and shook it.....no noise but then, I rolled it back and forth a bit and the noise is clanking or like something is really loose or screwed up inside somewhere??? What my question is, what is the sound if your hub, birf, axle etc might be going out? Ya lame to ask I know but I am really at a loss and I cant tear apart the beast at the moment........to busy looking for work so this is on the back burner. Anyway, long post I know. Any ideas??? :confused:

landtank said:
From reading here on the forum I'm pretty sure a busted birf sounds like:
"Awwwwwwwwwwwww F :censor: k"
I could be wrong but I'm quite sure when that day comes for me that's what I'll here.

Here is a test you can do if you really want to know if you have a weak or fragged birfield. Pull into a parking lot, put it in reverse and roll down the front windows. Let it start to go backwards under its own power and then start a medium turn and give it some moderate throttle while turning. If you get "click...click..click..." then you can say:

"Awwwwwwwwwwwww F :censor: k"

Oh well I guess its not that bad due to I havent said oohhhh F :censor: k yet!! I have said oh what the F :censor: k is that sound now!! Damn this F :censor: king beast, it wont give me a day without making crazy sounds and now the wife is pist since I spend all my time F :censor: king around with it and not her!!

On a serious note though, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should tear apart next to get to the bottom of this clanking sound?? :confused:

4dmalamute said:
On a serious note though, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should tear apart next to get to the bottom of this clanking sound?? :confused:

I am serious...go try and make those turns both ways and see if it clicks or clunks. Unless you have something loose on the chassis, its likely inside the axle based on your description.

Right on then, thanks for the input and I will do this tomorrow. I had no idea how to test for the birfs so this is cool to know. Thanks again and I will post up what I find out. :beer:

4dmalamute said:
Right on then, thanks for the input and I will do this tomorrow. I had no idea how to test for the birfs so this is cool to know. Thanks again and I will post up what I find out. :beer:

The birf test is not always conclusive, but is a good start. Given that you just installed your caster plates...are you certain that you don't have a worn u-joint? If this really started simultaneous with the plates, maybe you should ask Christo what he thinks.

At this point I am not sure about anything to be 100% honest. The sound only comes when your off the gas and slowing down to around 15 to 10 mph, then once you give it any amount of gas the sound goes away. I thought it was a brake pad or caliper but there all tight. I thought it was the u-joints but I had a friend drive my beast with me running next to it and the sound is coming from the front hub area. I do have the driveline vibration due to the lift but I can live with that for now, but this clanking/something is getting tore up inside my axle is driving me nuts! I will call Christo monday morning to get his advice. Thanks for the help and ideas with this......damn I am glad to be part of this forum. :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom