No VSS on 79 speedo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I bought a 79 cluster on mud, as I read that they had the built in VSS for me to run FI on my truck. I received the cluster, and no VSS? Whats the dealio? It is definitely a late model cluster (Has MPH and KPH markings)

Anyone care to enlighten me on this, and does anyone have any crappy condition clusters with VSS they are willing to part with for a low cost? :D

I thought it was contained inside the speedo itself and not a separate unit somewhere in the cluster housing. I'm probably wrong.

Post a picture of what you bought. The 79 and newer have a connector with three wires for the amp meter. Starting with the 81 model the odometer went up 999,999 miles. The 79/80 I believe highlited the 55 on the speedo.

The stock speed sensor terminals poke out of the housing that covers the back of the speedometer, right next to the speedometer cable itself. They look like two little copper tabs with tapped holes in them.

I've seen late model clusters without these, especially from diesels.

I can check my junk box, I probably have a spare sensor and housing, or even a whole cluster... that is assuming its the stock stuff you're looking for, and are willing to come to the far reaches of Los Gatos.

Last edited:
Post a picture of what you bought. The 79 and newer have a connector with three wires for the amp meter. Starting with the 81 model the odometer went up 999,999 miles. The 79/80 I believe highlited the 55 on the speedo.

IMG_20101210_201738.jpg

IMG_20101210_203108.jpg

IMG_20101210_203121.jpg

The stock speed sensor terminals poke out of the housing that covers the back of the speedometer, right next to the speedometer cable itself. They look like two little copper tabs with tapped holes in them.

I've seen late model clusters without these, especially from diesels.

I can check my junk box, I probably have a spare sensor and housing, or even a whole cluster... that is assuming its the stock stuff you're looking for, and are willing to come to the far reaches of Los Gatos.

It appears that maybe what I bought is a diesel cluster then?:doh:

Amaurer, if you could hook me up with something, that would be sweet! Los Gatos is my old stomping grounds, but I know reside down the road in Willow Glen. If you have any bits and pieces, to build a VSS or replace the odo altogether, that would be awesome. Would be cool to meet another mudder that is local too.

Thanks,
Luke

Odd, your housing has the slot for the VSS terminals, but the speedo frame doesn't have the tapped holes to mount it. Maybe a replacement speedo sometime in that cluster's life?

Unfortunately I checked my junk box - I have about 5 clusters worth of every part... except for the VSS. I also don't have a speedo frame with the VSS holes. Sorry man. I'm up on 17 at Summit Rd, basically right on the santa cruz county line - maybe some other time.

amaurer,

Thanks for looking to see if you had any spares, I appreciate it.

It is strange, though i just saw someone selling another 79 cluster that they say is from a FJ, and it also has the slot but no spade connectors??

Now I need to figure out the best way to find what I am looking for... :hmm::doh:

Have you tried SOR? They have most everything anyone could need for a land cruiser, but you'll pay for it.

Well, that's interesting. The emissions FSM for 1979-80 2F does NOT show a speed sensor. The systems that usually make use of a VSS input (AIR and Decel fuel cut) are shown as only using a tach input.

A VSS is used on 70-78 Cruisers, and is used on all 81-87 2F.

shouldn't the 79 speedo have the 55 highlighted? my 1980 does.

Well, that's interesting. The emissions FSM for 1979-80 2F does NOT show a speed sensor. The systems that usually make use of a VSS input (AIR and Decel fuel cut) are shown as only using a tach input.

A VSS is used on 70-78 Cruisers, and is used on all 81-87 2F.

:bang: I bought a 79 cluster specifically because threads on here said it definitely had the 4 pulse VSS.

Who said search is your friend! :bang:

Okay I did a little checking this weekend. I have a 79 and 80 speedo clusters. 79 is in my March 79 cruiser. The 80 is from one I got out of a salvage yard years ago But I know it was a FJ not BJ. Neither has speed sensor. The 79 has a little white box with a red 55 on the speedo. The 80 is the same as in your picture of the 79. I have a older speedo cluster and speedo that have the speed sensor. The 82 speedo I have does have a speed sensor. The speedo marks 15-25-35..... with a arrow points at 55.

The 80 is from one I got out of a salvage yard years ago But I know it was a FJ not BJ. The 79 has a little white box with a red 55 on the speedo. The 80 is the same as in your picture of the 79.

my 1980 is the same as your 1979 in regards to the boxed 55. I thought they all had 55 highlighted somehow as that was the big idea to save gas and all highways were 55mph.

The 79 has a little white box with a red 55 on the speedo. The 80 is the same as in your picture of the 79.

my 1980 is the same as your 1979 in regards to the boxed 55. I thought they all had 55 highlighted somehow as that was the big idea to save gas and all highways were 55mph.

Here is my (12/79 build) 1980, it has the white box with red "55":

IMG_0660.jpg

For the OP, sorry I don't remember from the last time I had it out whether it has a VSS or not.

From my old 4/76 California FJ40. It is amazing what you learn from this site. I never realized it had a VSS.

DSCN1772.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom