No votage in my lighter...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok - thought this CB radio install was going to be easy ... but it seems nothing is easy.

For some reason I don't measure 12V in my cigaretter lighter no matter what I do. Tried several ignition key positions and checked the 12A fuse in the fuse box... no joy.

The leads that come with the radio will not reach the battery in the engine bay... ss there a better source of voltage for my CB radio under there?!

Howdy! Are you trying to measure it from the front, or did you pull the dash and measure it on the wiring harness? My lighter never worked, but when I opened the dash, I do have juice in the wires, as long as the key is in Acc or Run position. You could also pickup constant on juice from the hazard harness. John

I popped out the bezel from the front to expose the back of the lighter - measure it right in those wires too... no juice. :mad:

I have to pull the radio out to access the antenna connector from the back of it so I might try to splice into it back there...

the lighter has -in addition to the regular electrical fuse- also a built-in fusible link in the end receptacle assembly (where the plug or lighter goes in).

the lighter has -in addition to the regular electrical fuse- also a built-in fusible link in the end receptacle assembly (where the plug or lighter goes in).

Thanks - I'll check that wire too... it didn't look like anything except two wires going back towards the Firewall but I'll check again.

After double-checking I still don't see it... I may have to run a hot wire directly to the battery terminal...

Hmmm, I often use one of those cup heaters if when I wake up in the hills it is a little chilly. Drop it in a cup of water and lovely hot 'T' in 5 minutes, last week the ciggy lighter receptacle packed up, a quick glance and the fuse was ok, guessed I would check it out later but did not know about the fusible link, thanks for that I will have a root around sometime during the week.

regards

Dave

the fusible link is part of the plug assembly itself, towards the end where there are isolating washers and a connector. It can be bypassed. There is a thread about that someplace here.

I originally used the lighter and then switched it to an always hot 12V. Became a pain when I shut the truck off and back on, the radio was at the wrong frequency and I kept forgetting. Plus sometimes with the truck off you want to be able to chat on the CB.

When I get five minutes Iwill remove it completely, it will be replaced by the male/female 12v sockets I like to use, I do not smoke and I do not allow people to smoke in the car so that is not an issue.

regards

Dave

After double-checking I still don't see it... I may have to run a hot wire directly to the battery terminal...

I don't think you saw it because I don't believe it's there. I do not recall anything like that when I was in there

Mine melted and I couldn't find a generic to fit. If you pull up the tabs you can put a new wire in and bend the clips back over. Then I put a glob of solder in them and it worked fine ever since. Mine melted while running a compressor. Hope this helps sorry for no pics

That's what I'm going to do.

Thx,
James

Pretty easy,

You take a wire with an eye hole big enough to go on the battery terminal and you have two choices, install an aux fuse panel, real easy to mount on the firewall below the hood. Or you can run direct. If you run direct, put an inline fuse, if you use the fuse panel, that will come with fuse holders

There is a rubber grommet you can shove the wire into the cab for either option below where the brake fluid is. Need to cut a hole in it careful not to cut existing wires. Then run it into the cab directly to the CB.

If you do the fuse panel, I would run a second wire into the cab and use it to install one or two always hot 12V aux outputs. Find a good place to ground in the cab or also run a ground wire through the grommet.

What is the size wire I should use.... neighbor said he's got some wire I can have... but I want to be sure it's the right size - I know it must be copper. Any specific size/gauge I should use?

Thx -

16 or 18 gauge is more than enough for a Radio. If your doing an Aux Fuse Block, I would run 10 or 12 to that, depending on what you see doing in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom