No steps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many of you removed your factory steps and ran it without them for a while? The HE's come this way and the look is growing on me. I'll be adding sliders at some point but I thought about running without them for a bit. Any thoughts?

Take them off and try it. It's like 6 or 8 easy bolts, takes minutes with an impact driver. If you don't like it, put them back on.

That's the plan.

I tried it. I prefer the look. With a lift, the step up was a bit much, until I added step sliders. It also made it harder to deal with roof loading/unloading.

Got any pics?
BDD8D3A0-C304-4385-BCDA-D88AB70AF3E3.jpeg

Mine were removed when I bought my current LC, by the PO. That didn't go over well when I got it home, if you know what I mean. So I found a used set here for the time being until I could get the real sliders installed. Gave them away to a new HE owner that was in the same dilemma.

IMG_20180324_133136.jpg

How many of you removed your factory steps and ran it without them for a while? The HE's come this way and the look is growing on me. I'll be adding sliders at some point but I thought about running without them for a bit. Any thoughts?
I removed mine and ran it that way for about 3 weeks before getting my sliders installed. I preferred the look. Granted, it was with Nitto RG 285/70/18s, so I think that helped the look. My only complaint was I found myself sliding across the edge of the seat getting in and out without steps. It’s a new car… I was thinking unnecessary wear and tear. But, my sliders have remedied that now.
Got any pics?

736A8CC8-2049-4C65-80B4-2E0E1A496E4A.jpeg

A8068E08-C453-4511-88D0-422EB28736E6.jpeg

Prior to installing my ARB Summit sliders. Personally, i do not like the look…i don’t like to see frame and other tidbits when looking from the side.

64A44353-F29F-408D-BDFE-864EB2891F27.jpeg

846D83A7-C611-4895-A80F-0ED7B571D933.jpeg

E7673C52-8689-4F6F-BA08-A8D50EC63BD4.jpeg

DA70F503-506C-4372-8F0B-685D947A82DB.jpeg

You can see my before and after pics (with steps, without steps, and with sliders) here:

I do personally like the look without them best, but like others have mentioned, accessing anything on the roof is tougher and sliding across the seat when getting in is worse. Especially with kids and now with a 2" lift, I consider slider steps as necessary (not to mention the protection they provide).

The stock steps are even easier to remove than they already seem like they would be. They're super light-weight (like 5 pounds each) and have little hooks that keep them in place as you remove the bolts.

One passing thought that may have gotten lost, I do like the look without, but if there is much of a chance of going offroad on anything technical, then sliders/step sliders are worth it for purely practical reasons. I can only imagine the amount of sill damage I’d have by now without them.

I wasn't aware that ARB made sliders for the 200.
They do.

I like them a lot. Looks fancy like it came from factory. Crash tested by ARB. Lightweight. Plenty strong enough. No drilling into frame. No rivnut needed. No KDSS line manipulation needed.

One passing thought that may have gotten lost, I do like the look without, but if there is much of a chance of going offroad on anything technical, then sliders/step sliders are worth it for purely practical reasons. I can only imagine the amount of sill damage I’d have by now without them.
Interesting enough, if i know i am going to do a lot of gravel driving i put them back on just for this reason. Sand / dirt isn’t an issue but gravel will really beat the plastic rocker covers up. I wish there were longer factory mud flaps that fit, like the ones on the Gen2 4Runner. If there were i would just run those. The aftermarket mud flaps are too weak.

Interesting enough, if i know i am going to do a lot of gravel driving i put them back on just for this reason. Sand / dirt isn’t an issue but gravel will really beat the plastic rocker covers up. I wish there were longer factory mud flaps that fit, like the ones on the Gen2 4Runner. If there were i would just run those. The aftermarket mud flaps are too weak.
I mean dragging across large rocks, ledges, trees and break over situations (for example). I also ditched the factory front mud flaps (rubbing tires) and an about to trim off the rear mud flaps (scraping rocks on drop down). Something like the LDPE mud flaps that rally cars use might be a good alternative?

The Heritage Edition doesn’t even come with running boards. So it’s not too hard to find pics.
Don’t mind him…dnh1 is green with HE envy…he even tries to copy his LC to look like one. He tries to insult HE whenever he gets the chance to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom