No start, then new battery, cranks sometimes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

today I went to start the LC and it would not crank - all lights came on and would click when I turn the key to start. My first thought was the battery. I attached the booster and done - it started. The new battery still had charge but I thought maybe not enough to turn over.

here is the issue:

thinking i wasn’t getting enough crank amps from the battery since it recently is getting colder over night, my battery is 2 years old so I thought, probably the battery. I went to Costco, got a new 24F interstate, got back to the house to install it, and then.... no crank, tried again, crank (with a struggle) but it started. Went for a 20 minute drive, got home, turned it off to try again and... no crank, try again, crank, turns on.

so it’s turning on... with a struggle (takes 3 or 4 tries to begin to crank) - I’m sure tomorrow it won’t since it will be cold in the am and not get enough from the battery.

anyone have any ideas as to why it’s needing so much boost to turn?

my first thought is the starter going out, but when it does catch and turn, it sounds strong. Contacts maybe???

new starter 70k ago and new alternator (not oem, I know I know) a year ago.

anyone with ideas or the issue in the past? Thanks in advance

The winner is: the starter

In summary, no start after a few clicks and then it pushes the engine with struggle. Sometimes it catches. $350 for the starter and 4 hours of labor later, should be good.

closing out the thread but hopefully the symptoms help someone along the way.

When was the new starter installed? Was it Toyota starter?

yes. It is the second starter, first lasted 150k and the second (remanufactured) 60k - kinda disappointed on the second since it gave me piece of mind knowing it was done relatively recent but I guess anything can fail. If it helps, NW truck with no rust, I think the terminals just had too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom