No Start on a HDJ81, I have traced it down to a pretty small area. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to pull my 80 into my garage a few hours ago and it didn't start, some things were clicking when I turned the key, all lights on the dash were normal, but the starter isn't doing anything.

First off, I need to be clear that I did convert this thing to 12V start a few years ago, it hasn't given me a single issue since the conversion.

I have independently verified that the starter is working (by bypassing the starter relay with a jumper).

Also the Starter relay is clicking when the key is turned, and the contacts read 0.0 ohms when the relay is energized.

1624246877825.png

I have found that I do not have proper voltage at the spot I circled in Red. Interestingly, I do read 12.2 volts (but not the 12.7 that I have at the battery) But this voltage disappears as soon as any load is present. This part has me stumped, but I think that part of the voltage regulator circuit is also tied to this white wire, so maybe that's were the 12.2 volts is coming from.

As Mentioned above, If I use a jumper to put 12v straight to the B-R wire the starter jumps to life. However if I unplug the relay and place a jumper from the white wire to the B-R wire, nothing happens.

The fuseable link seems fine, and everything that feeds off of it is working as it should.

As far as I can tell, the green highlighted part is relevant to my JDM cruiser, and I do not have the "FL ST 0.5g" link.

I need to find the 2 places circled in yellow so I can try to narrow down where the problem is.

On top of the LH fender well there are two large, square plugs that sit just under the edge of the windshield washer fluid tank. The wires tend to corrode from spilled washer fluid over the years and cause this exact problem. More info and the exact solution here: HDJ81 1HD-T Won’t Crank, What am I Missing? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-1hd-t-wont-crank-what-am-i-missing.1244141/#post-13823257 thanks to @kw90surf. @SnowVersion is currently dealing with other aspects of this same problem too.

I went to pull my 80 into my garage a few hours ago and it didn't start, some things were clicking when I turned the key, all lights on the dash were normal, but the starter isn't doing anything.

First off, I need to be clear that I did convert this thing to 12V start a few years ago, it hasn't given me a single issue since the conversion.

I have independently verified that the starter is working (by bypassing the starter relay with a jumper).

Also the Starter relay is clicking when the key is turned, and the contacts read 0.0 ohms when the relay is energized.

View attachment 2709703

I have found that I do not have proper voltage at the spot I circled in Red. Interestingly, I do read 12.2 volts (but not the 12.7 that I have at the battery) But this voltage disappears as soon as any load is present. This part has me stumped, but I think that part of the voltage regulator circuit is also tied to this white wire, so maybe that's were the 12.2 volts is coming from.

As Mentioned above, If I use a jumper to put 12v straight to the B-R wire the starter jumps to life. However if I unplug the relay and place a jumper from the white wire to the B-R wire, nothing happens.

The fuseable link seems fine, and everything that feeds off of it is working as it should.

As far as I can tell, the green highlighted part is relevant to my JDM cruiser, and I do not have the "FL ST 0.5g" link.

I need to find the 2 places circled in yellow so I can try to narrow down where the problem is.

Check that plug!! Under the washer reservoir

Check that plug!! Under the washer reservoir

Thanks guys, this sounds exactly like my problem, I wish this didn't mean I had to pull my 80lb battery though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom