NO Start Issue – Fuel Pump works outside but not while connected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read through most of the “No Start”, “Key Immobilizer”, “Fuel Pump”, and “EFI Relay” threads but have reluctantly started a new thread (sorry) because most of the issues indicate the security light on the center console as still blinking while ignition is ON (and mine is off as is expected).

I am now pretty deep into this issue and need some help either digging a deeper hole or digging my way back out to where I started. ;)

So now for the background...Sorry, I wish I had a way to make it more interesting…but here it goes:

2000 LC with 305K miles – owned since 2006 @ 65K miles

Mostly dealer maintained until 200K+

Down to 1 Master Key, a little loose…pretty worn

A few months ago, “she” began not wanting to start - on occasion. Must be a “she” because she is not communicating and acting like I should already know what’s wrong with her!

At some point in the last few months, the VSC/Traction Control light started coming on occasionally. (Not sure this has anything to do with my current problem)

Then a couple months ago, she turned over, but wouldn’t start. A day later, she started and was fine for a couple days. Then she did the same thing and wore down the battery trying to start. After charging the battery, she started and was fine.

Then a few weeks ago, she wouldn’t start (same thing…turned over but wouldn’t start). I first considered buying new key because I read that many times the older keys were an issue. However, I was reluctant to buy an aftermarket key and didn’t have a DNA sample to provide the local Toyota dealer when I dropped by to get a key (they even had me and the vehicle in their system).

Instead of a follow up trip to the dealer for a key, I thought I better get a diagnosis before spending money on a key, so I finally resorted to having her towed to my local independent trusted mechanic. He/they diagnosed as a Key Immobilizer issue and referred me to the dealer (and towed her there as a courtesy).

The dealer sort of diagnosed it…well charged for a diagnosis and called it a “diagnosis” …but said “the fuel pump is bad so we are going to start with a Complete Fuel Pump at $1,075”. Key word “start”! When I went by to discuss they were quite defensive and when I asked if it was throwing any codes, they lied about the lack of codes. They said they checked for codes and found nothing but when I called them out on that(I was aware of an emissions code a previous dealer had identified), they finally admitted that they didn’t check for codes and that “the codes don’t matter”.

I later confirmed with the independent mechanic that he checked the codes and said it was “throwing a code for a Key Immobilizer” and that would explain why the fuel pump wasn’t working.

As you can imagine, I lost all confidence in the dealer and decided to have her towed back home. This is when I found the ih8mud community and not only read everything I could about this issue but also started tearing into the LC myself. Y’all are incredible! – I have re-fallen in love with my LC and have newfound conviction to reach 500K miles! I also gained the confidence (rightly or wrongly so) to dig in and start tearing apart the truck!

So here is what I have done:

Replaced battery

Replaced Oil Cap (seal was leaking)

Replaced Fuel Cap (just because long over due)

Replaced Fuel Filter (gas was present in the line)

Pulled out the seats to access the Fuel Pump. Then engaged the ignition ON position to hear the fuel pump and could hear it running.

Visually checked the fuses in the Fuse Box (engine compartment) and found the box and the fuses to be in good condition (visually).

Removed the Fuel Pump and the EFI Relay (from the engine compartment Fuse Box). Took both to my local auto parts store. We hooked power up to the fuel pump and it ran. They tested the EFI and it clicked – although we did not test to specifications (continuity).

Bought a new Fuel Pump. Plugged in to original assembly and connected. However, it didn’t turn on when Ignition ON or trying to crank. After testing the new fuel pump by connecting to battery, it ran, so returned the new Fuel Pump.

Borrowed a pressure gauge and ohm meter from Autozone. Tested contact at the fuel pump connection and showed 8-9 Volts. Main Battery tested at 12+ Volts.

I bought a Bosch Code Reader (Bluetooth an downloaded the app) and it didn’t seem to have the necessary functionality and wasn’t throwing any codes. I borrowed a code reader from Autozone and only showed one code: C1207 (Traction Control/Safety Neutral Switch) However, I have not erased and rescanned…nor is the VSC light coming back on the dash at this time.

Read most of the threads on ih8mud and every google video related to fuel pumps, EFI Relays, “No Starts”, and Key Immobilizers.

Bought a new key from Toyota. Programmed myself using video from YouTube. It seems to be working as the alarm light goes off as expected and seemingly almost started with left over gas in the engine.

Continued reading…thought maybe I have a bad “Fuel Pump Relay”. Tried to find the Fuel Pump Relay location…even took apart the Key Control unit looking for it. O’Reilly’s found and sold me a “Fuel Pump” Relay which has 5 pins…but still couldn’t find it in the engine compartment, near the driver’s side kick panel/fuse box, in the passenger side kick pane (near the computer), or in rear quarter-panel near the Fuel Pump Control unit.

I hijacked the “where is the fuel pump relay” thread and the 2000 model does not appear to have a separate relay. Even if there is one, could it be bad if I am getting power to the unit?

*Thank you @abuck99 and @planomateo for sending me wiring diagrams and testing procedures from the FSM!

So now I am stuck and need some guidance on what to do next but have some questions to better understand the big picture of how the truck functions:

What do “Relays” do? Do they merely relay power or do they relay the amount of power the Computer or Control Unit indicates?

My assumption (which must be wrong) is that since I have power to the connector at the fuel pump itself, then the fuel pump should work.

Should I still focus on the Relay(s) and/or Fuse Box…or should I move on to the connections at either the Fuel Pump Control Unit or Computer(ECU?)?

Should I check continuity at every connection? What is the purpose of this? If I am able to confirm that I am getting power from a source, then why check continuity?

Sorry for the newbie questions but looking forward to this new enlightenment once I make it through this chasm! I guess in general I want to better understand the “why” not just the “what”. For example: What is a Relay and what purpose does it serve (why)? Grateful for any help!

I had a similar issue with my 100 series. Car stopped running while driving. I thought it was the fuel pump or at least fuel pump related and had it towed to a local mechanic with no help. It’d turn over but not start. I soon discovered myself that the efi fuse in the engine bay was wrong. Previous owner had a 15a instead of a 20a fuse. And the 15a was blown. Swapped fuses to the correct one and she runs fine now :D. I know you stated you checked all fuses but this was my issue. Hope it helps.

"My assumption (which must be wrong) is that since I have power to the connector at the fuel pump itself, then the fuel pump should work."

^^^^^^^^ No.

The fuel pump does not run/activate with the key in only the 'on' position. Nor is presence of voltage at the connector an indicator the pump should be running.

The fuel pump does NOT run until the engine is cranking ( the start circuit called for).

I would be looking to an immobilizer issue first.

Courtesy of @medtro who designed the bypass idea. Try this inexpensive hack and see if it cures your issue. Link posted above in post #2.
immobilizer_kit1.jpg

"My assumption (which must be wrong) is that since I have power to the connector at the fuel pump itself, then the fuel pump should work."

^^^^^^^^ No.

The fuel pump does not run/activate with the key in only the 'on' position. Nor is presence of voltage at the connector an indicator the pump should be running.

The fuel pump does NOT run until the engine is cranking ( the start circuit called for).

I would be looking to an immobilizer issue first.

I think the consensus is an immobilizer issue, and more specifically a fuse box issue. Regarding the fuel pump running...what throws me off is that it originally WAS running when simply turning on the key...I could hear it spinning for at least a few seconds. However, after pulling it, I never was able to duplicate the running while plugged in. (That is why I tried a new pump)

I think the consensus is an immobilizer issue, and more specifically a fuse box issue. Regarding the fuel pump running...what throws me off is that it originally WAS running when simply turning on the key...I could hear it spinning for at least a few seconds. However, after pulling it, I never was able to duplicate the running while plugged in. (That is why I tried a new pump)

Not sure if this is the case cause I havent reaearched it, but there may be a circuit that wont allow pump to run unless its submerged. Cavitation is a pump killer. Next time you need to check fuel system functionality, rather than pulling the seat and floor up, try performing a line pressure test. Its described in the FSM in section SFI.

Regarding the fuel pump running...what throws me off is that it originally WAS running when simply turning on the key...I could hear it spinning for at least a few seconds. However, after pulling it, I never was able to duplicate the running while plugged in. (That is why I tried a new pump)

Yes, I had read that part and thought maybe you were just mistaken. But if the pump ran with the key only in the 'on' position (not cranking the engine) then something was/is wrong with the circuitry or the pump.

The pumps do NOT 'prime' or run until the start circuit has been initiated.

Hope you get it sorted out. Electrical gremlins are no fun. But at least you have a good attitude about it.

Could it be you were hearing the sound from brake booster pump?

That is possible...I live in the software development world and have learned the most common answer is "user error"! However, I believe I heard the pump after taking out the seats and having my son turn the key two notches to the ON position. With that said, the brake booster pump does sound very similar to what I heard...and coupled with the input from the others that the pump does not run in the (key) ON position...makes me second guess my reporting.

So just a quick update. I did try the EFI bypass (to qualify whether the kit would work) and I don't believe the bypass worked. I say "don't believe" because it did sound like for a second it was going to start from the fumes leftover in the engine...but then after that initial hopeful moment, it never started. I then took the fuel line off the fuel filter (in the engine compartment) and there was not any indication of gas in the line, nor did I hear the pump working.

I have some additional items to add to my initial list above but will do so later:

1. Due to corrosion, installed new cable head at the battery terminal (Negative). Did this shortly after the new battery and before I started digging in to this issue. Used a lever type which has made "disconnecting the negative terminal" very easy.

2. Forgot to mention "P" light out in the instrument panel...this apparently may be the reason for the periodic VSC/Traction Control light on the dash.

3. I recalled an emissions code that failed my inspection attempt last year. When I took it to the dealer, they indicated the same code. I decided to not have the work done because they wanted me to leave it overnight to let the screw soak and said if they broke the bolts, it would be $1K to fix. I decided to simply risk the expired inspection sticker. I had always discounted the issue thinking it was simply an emissions sensor and didn't actually affect the vehicle. HOWEVER...I went through my records today and found that the code was for (you guessed it!)....an O2 Sensor (specifically Bank 1 Sensor 2) - Code: P0141.

Soooo....I don't know (but don't think) the "P" light or the O2 Sensor are the cause of this problem....but I think I should take care of both since they are pretty cheap. While I am in the instrument panel, I will replace the bulb for the CEL as well. At least these are things I can do on my own and can rule out if I get to the point of towing it to the dealer.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the case cause I havent reaearched it, but there may be a circuit that wont allow pump to run unless its submerged. Cavitation is a pump killer. Next time you need to check fuel system functionality, rather than pulling the seat and floor up, try performing a line pressure test. Its described in the FSM in section SFI.

This is very helpful...I didn't try the new pump installed because I wanted to be able to return it...and assumed I could just plug it in externally and test.

This is very helpful...I didn't try the new pump installed because I wanted to be able to return it...and assumed I could just plug it in externally and test.

I bench tested mine (out of tank) before installing it and it ran just fine. To my knowledge there is no submersion feature to it.

Sorry for the super delayed response to this thread...here's and update.

I gave up on this for a while but recently got closure - and a working Land Cruiser! Mystery Solved!

I took it back to my original independent mechanic shop after removing all the back seats, side panels, etc. to reduce the labor. He found the issue and fixed it in 4.5 hours.

Confirmed it was not a "spark issue":
  • was able to start the vehicle with ether/starting fluid
Then focused on the Fuel Pump/System:
  • Tested power to the fuel pump - ok
  • Tested the fuel pump itself - ok
  • Tested power to the fuel pump control module - ok
Found the problem(s):
However, did not get continuity in the wire from the Fuel Pump Control Module (located in the rear corner panel) to the Fuel Pump. He either tightened or replaced (the wire). Then discovered the Inertia Switch was tripped, so reset. It appears that maybe the faulty wire tripped the Inertia Switch. (Any thoughts or comments?)

I left the trail looking for the fuel pump relay (switch)...I forgot to ask my mechanic if this is the same as the Inertia Switch...sounds like it was in the same place (under dash, above and to the right of the gas pedal).

I feel like I have a born again land cruiser at 300k+ miles. Now having the timing belt/water pump service done. He also changed out various hoses, including the leaking power steering hoses.

Next I will change the 02 sensors (one is bad). Clean the seats and carpets while I have everything out. I may also take the opportunity to install a new stereo with back-up camera since I have all the panels removed and my Pioneer (2006) no longer works. Also contemplating removing the headliner to remove the sunroof and replace the seal.

Thank you to everyone that helped...because of the support from this community, another Cruiser avoided the junk yard. Now the question is...can I get another 100k miles without breaking the bank? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: jLB
Wow! What a long saga. When you noticed that your battery voltage at the pump was only 9 volts, shouldn’t that have been a red flag from the beginning?

What the heck is an inertia switch? Can you reset it just by unhooking he battery leads for a few minutes?

Glad you got it going.

Thanks for posting the resolution to the issues. So many people don’t. 👍

Wow! What a long saga. When you noticed that your battery voltage at the pump was only 9 volts, shouldn’t that have been a red flag from the beginning?

What the heck is an inertia switch? Can you reset it just by unhooking he battery leads for a few minutes?

Glad you got it going.

"long saga" exactly! I feel like I now own a "born again" Land Cruiser!

Yes, the 9Volt (getting to the pump) hung me up! Feedback was that this was an indication of the problem...which still led me to believe it could be a Key Immobilizer issue (I assumed that the system would use any and all methods to lock down the vehicle)...but I was still on the hunt for the "Fuel Pump Relay" switch...just couldn't find it. (Now I understand this to be called the "Inertia Switch" by my mechanic). However, one of the mechanics along the way said (and I think I also read this somewhere) that the pump actually only draws 9V as it is running or sitting idle and you have to actually measure while someone is trying to start the car (and possibly pushing on the gas) to get a 12V reading.

Regarding the inertia switch, as I mentioned I think it is the same as a Fuel Pump Relay. We believe the loose or faulty wire likely cause the switch to be tripped as a safety feature. I believe there is a button on the relay/switch. I had the battery unhooked at various points in this saga, so definitely don't believe that will reset it.

The byproduct/benefit of going through this saga is that I now know a lot more about this incredible vehicle, thanks solely to this incredible community! When I came full circle back to my local independent mechanic, I was able to walk him through everything I had done to narrow the possibilities and we were able to collaborate a bit to quickly find the problem. Many thanks to all that helped and encouraged along the way. (I am sure I will have more questions about other issues down the road)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom