No Start Head Scratcher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading thread after thread about potential no starts but none have solved my problem. I have a '97 40th anniversary edition that I cannot get to turn over. I got it as a parts car but after poking around it only needs minor body work (hood, fender, airbags, airbag module, windshield) and she'll be good as "new". The PO was in an accident, it has never started in my possession but was running well enough to unsuccessfully drive over a sedan a month ago. The airbags did deploy. Now when I attempt to start it the horn beeps once when initially inserting the key and turning past lock, and it does not crank let alone turn over. Everything works in terms of accessories, lights, horn, radio, sunroof, but all I get is the sound of current? but nothing else. I just went through the trouble of pulling the RS3000 out thinking it was somehow a security lock issue but upon reconnecting all the factory wiring harnesses I still get the initial horn beep and same no start.

I have replaced the battery and fuseable links (the originals were good but had to make sure). All fuses are good. Tried starting in P and N and quickly shifting between them while turning key. Tried bypassing the NSS with a paperclip into the wiring harness under the truck. Bypassed the RS3000 as clear as I can tell. I could not find anything that looks exactly like mine but close enough (I had the brain under the DS seat, another brain in the kickpanel (a box with a red light) that says "Direct" and is wired to the rest, and a glass breakage sensor. I unplugged anything that came from the wiring under the drivers seat to everything else and returned the factory harnesses back to each other. No luck

I haven't found anything that can explain the intial horn beep (still happens after the RS3000 was bypassed) and still does exact same no start. I am now totally lost. It seems like the starter isn't getting power from the ignition or something is telling the truck not to start. Could the horn and no start be a safety thing associated with the airbag deployment? Figured plenty of people on here know more than me and hopefully someone can help. (sidenote, I also have a LX450 so it is easy to double check against.) Thanks in advance for the help!

Curious as to what you mean by RS3000 bypassed? Did you remove it?

Curious as to what you mean by RS3000 bypassed? Did you remove it?
I guess I should of just said removed, but yes all factory harnesses have been returned to each other

I have been reading thread after thread about potential no starts but none have solved my problem. I have a '97 40th anniversary edition that I cannot get to turn over. I got it as a parts car but after poking around it only needs minor body work (hood, fender, airbags, airbag module, windshield) and she'll be good as "new". The PO was in an accident, it has never started in my possession but was running well enough to unsuccessfully drive over a sedan a month ago. The airbags did deploy. Now when I attempt to start it the horn beeps once when initially inserting the key and turning past lock, and it does not crank let alone turn over. Everything works in terms of accessories, lights, horn, radio, sunroof, but all I get is the sound of current? but nothing else. I just went through the trouble of pulling the RS3000 out thinking it was somehow a security lock issue but upon reconnecting all the factory wiring harnesses I still get the initial horn beep and same no start.

I have replaced the battery and fuseable links (the originals were good but had to make sure). All fuses are good. Tried starting in P and N and quickly shifting between them while turning key. Tried bypassing the NSS with a paperclip into the wiring harness under the truck. Bypassed the RS3000 as clear as I can tell. I could not find anything that looks exactly like mine but close enough (I had the brain under the DS seat, another brain in the kickpanel (a box with a red light) that says "Direct" and is wired to the rest, and a glass breakage sensor. I unplugged anything that came from the wiring under the drivers seat to everything else and returned the factory harnesses back to each other. No luck

I haven't found anything that can explain the intial horn beep (still happens after the RS3000 was bypassed) and still does exact same no start. I am now totally lost. It seems like the starter isn't getting power from the ignition or something is telling the truck not to start. Could the horn and no start be a safety thing associated with the airbag deployment? Figured plenty of people on here know more than me and hopefully someone can help. (sidenote, I also have a LX450 so it is easy to double check against.) Thanks in advance for the help!
There is an impact sensor that blow the air bags and shuts off the fuel pump. It is under the center console and must be replaced. I am not sure that they can b re-set or if they are VIN specific. You need an FSM to determine the correct info. This is basically almost under the PWR/2ND switch under the console.

It's the yellow thing on the right.

1589565073079.png

Last edited:
Remove the starter and have it checked at an auto parts store. It, or the connections to it may have been damaged.

So, I went at all the hard stuff first without checking the starter cause it looked new:bang:, pulled it and tested, turns out it had a short. Got a new Denso 2.2kw off Amazon and she turns over like a champ. Now I am dealing with a power steering fluid leak in the front but that is minor in comparison. Thanks for all the help!:beer:

Parts Cannon on autofire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom