No start after pin 7 mod: Need Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought my first Land Cruiser (FJ80 94)and starting reading the threads on things to upgrade. Love this forum! Fixing/upgrading the stereo and adding the CDL switch were the first things that made my list. I ordered the switch from Slee.

Today I put in the switch and did the pin 7 modification and starting routing some new speaker wire. As I was putting everything back together I noticed my headlights had turned on; this never happened before. I usually leave the light switch in the on position and let them turn automatically off when I open the door after running the rig. I manually switched them off. I then tried to start the engine. The engine turned over fine but not even a sputter; it has always started right up. Plerplexed I decided to search the forum for a possible cause before running the battery dead. Pulled out my FOB to lock it up and... nothing. It no longer worked, neither did its mate. Suspecting the alarm system I read some threads on it but found nothing that helped including turning the key on-off-on-off and pulling/re-inserting the connector to the box.

The fuses all appear good, the connectors are all snapped in; I'm at a loss.

Ideas anyone?

first...

I'd undo everything you just did... get it running first before it gets more involved... let a shop find the alarm wires/setup if it's aftermarket... seen some nasty hack-jobs that could really stray the untrained eye....just mho

So, it's just the alarm that's not functioning now?

I guess I'm confused because the content of your post doesn't seem to match the title of the thread.

BTW, welcome aboard :flipoff2:

WestCruiser said:
Recently bought my first Land Cruiser (FJ80 94)and starting reading the threads on things to upgrade. Love this forum! Fixing/upgrading the stereo and adding the CDL switch were the first things that made my list. I ordered the switch from Slee.

Today I put in the switch and did the pin 7 modification and starting routing some new speaker wire. As I was putting everything back together I noticed my headlights had turned on; this never happened before. I usually leave the light switch in the on position and let them turn automatically off when I open the door after running the rig. I manually switched them off. I then tried to start the engine. The engine turned over fine but not even a sputter; it has always started right up. Plerplexed I decided to search the forum for a possible cause before running the battery dead. Pulled out my FOB to lock it up and... nothing. It no longer worked, neither did its mate. Suspecting the alarm system I read some threads on it but found nothing that helped including turning the key on-off-on-off and pulling/re-inserting the connector to the box.

The fuses all appear good, the connectors are all snapped in; I'm at a loss.

Ideas anyone?

So what is the problem? The title says you can't start your truck...in the body of the text you say "The engine turned over fine but not even a sputter". So did it start or not?

Did turning the lights off shut the lights off or not? It would help to clearly state you problem so that people can help you.

Still no start

I'll try to clear up my confusion. I noted three things right after I did the mod. I listed all the items hoping they may provide a clue as to where to look:
1) The lights turned on
2) The engine would turn over but not start
3) The FOBs stopped working

I tried reversing the pin 7 mod but no change. the battery will crank the engine but it still won't start and the FOBs still don't work. I mentioned the security system because the FOBs stopped working. I'm thinking it is something electrical that is affecting the ignition circuit and the security system at the same time. The starter circuit is getting juice so thats not an issue.

did you check the EFI fuse under the hood? that might be the cause of #2.

it could be that while you were playing with wires under the dash, you could've pulled on something that caused the wiring harness to short out somewhere.

blowing the EFI fuse is a tell-tale sign.

if that fuse is blown (pull it out and check closely, or better yet, just replace it), your next step should be to track down the short.

I had a problem with my 94 where the insulation on a couple O2 sensor wires rubbed through against the firewall.

I would guess that you put the CDL switch in one of the radio plugs and you've shorted something in the electrical system. The second guess would be that something with the speaker wiring got fouled up. I believe another guy used the wrong plug behind the dash and had a similar problem. A search might help but the keywords that I can think of (CDL + switch + problem) will turn up a lot of threads.

-B-

Thanks Doug. I'll check out the EFI fuse. You are probably right about pulling on something under the dash. I'll likely need to pull everthing out again and see if there is anything obvious.

I did notice some aftermarket wiring including a trailer brake that did have a short in it. Fixed that but there is probably more...

Beowulf,

I think I'm clean on the CDL idea. I found the switch harness with the jumper exactly like the picture showed in the instructions.

On the stereo side I didn't have time to swap out the head unit so the speaker wires were routed to the center dash and not connected yet. In routing the wires I could have pushed or pulled on something and caused a problem. I'm just not sure were it would be to cause two seemingly different problems at once.

Thanks for the try!

The EFI relay and fuse check out okay. I also checked the circuit open relay located near the 7 pin mod connector thinking I may have bumped it but it was also okay. The FSM listed it as the next likely condidate for "no initial combustion". Now I notice the driver's door is not triggering the dome light or the open door light on the dash. The other doors work fine.

Any more ideas are very welcome!

Problem fixed :D ...

In checking the wiring diagrams all problems led to a single connector in the kick panel called ID2. The previous owner must have broken the latch and I managed to move it enough to slightly disenage the connections:doh: . Pushed it back together and now my engine starts, the fobs work, the driver's door turns on the curtesy lights. One damn connector. Oh well, something learned. Thanks to those of you who attempted to point me in the right direction! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom