No Speed showing, Idle low, Over drive flasching, Engine control light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

A few days ago I drove our a driveway and realised that my steering was hard (lack of rpm. about 400/min for the power steering pump). Since then the idle RPM is 400/min.
After that i realized that my instrument cluster did not show any speed.
I got on the freeway and accelerated, as soon the engine reached 3200/min the engine control light came on.

I checked the pins on the speed sensor at the back of the gearbox -> everything in order.
I checked to see if the speed sensor is engaged in the gearbox -> everything in order
I checked all fuses -> everything in order

dos any one know what is going on with my land cruiser 80-series?

Oh yes! Sorry about that!

Engine:1FZ, FZJ80 VX edition
(Cruise control, Automatic gearbox, Auto light switch)
Just remembered: One day before all those faults accrued my Cruise control didn´t work.

Probably don't have a local O'Reilly or AutoZone within driving distance seeing @LOW Cruiser is from Africa. :deadhorse:

@LOW Cruiser you failed to indicate model year and country of origin which is somewhat important in to determine the method used to decipher the engine control light (CEL) which should be your starting point in trouble shooting. Here in the US 93-94 models are ODB1 type of diagnostics and 95-97 are ODB2. With ODB1 a jumper placed across pins in the diagnostic port in the engine bay will then flash codes on the CEL on the dash. For ODB2 there is a plug in the fuse block on the lower dash that a code scanner can be plugged into to get the code. None of this may apply to vehicles from other countries.

The symptoms you have described could be a bad or loose ground issue.

the engine control light came on.

Do you mean the check engine light? If so, you need to find out what the error code is.

If I remember correctly, the transmission gets its speed signal from the speedometer, which is why a damaged speedo results in a blinking O/D light (which indicates that the transmission has an error code).

Here's what I did:
Broken Speedometer Repair

As for the low idle, I'd check all your vacuum hoses and intake hose. I had a high cold idle and occasional *very* low warm idle, and fixing all the vacuum leaks got me back to the correct idle.

I repared it just as mentioned in the post from Gummycarbs, but had no luck. Probably more broken than i thought, or did you also fix more that that Gummycarbs??
now i will look for a used one to see if i can fix it with that.

Hi all!

I managed to find all faults. One thing was just like Gummycarbs mentioned (Broken Speedometer Repair).
The other thing was that the sprocket of the speed sensor didn't have all teeth left. (maybe the tooth ferry came by :))
I thing the real problem was that the oil seal that is located in the speedo unit became hard over time. When i tried to push the old oil seal onto the new rode it was very hard to turn.

Thank you guys for your help.

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8687.JPG

763995079.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom