No spark? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I was just reading another thread about not getting spark and wondered what you try if you're getting spark from the coil but not at the plugs? I replaced the points w/ new OEM and proper gap which made zero difference. I did notice the "ground wire" (I think) was slightly exposed in the base of the distributer (wire on opposite side from points - '76) - could this have something to do w/ it? It was running fine when I parked it - but sat for +/- 3 months -

Tucker

Last edited:
Check coil wire then cap then rotor. Then back to coil itself for intermitant spark.

What do you mean by you "get a spark at the coil, but not at the plugs"?
Do you mean when the engine is cranking or when you are hot wiring it?

If it sparks 3 times per engine revolution out of the center wire that goes to the distributor cap while cranking, but you don't get a spark at the plug, then the problem has to be in the cap, rotor or spark plug wires.

No hijack intended here but I had the last post on this and still have not figured it out. I have a buddy coming over friday night so hopefully can figure it out then. Hard to do alone. Anyway, Pinhead you said hot wire here and in my last post and what does this look like? I went to checkers :rolleyes: and asked and of course the guy goes for ground effects. Wanted to say "Yeah man because they are super cool and want to be able to see the road at night when I am driving" But I didn't instead I said I think it is a wire with aligator clips at the end to check current and allow current to run through. Takes me over to electrical and all I saw was test leads so picked those up. They are not right though because I did what you said and got a spark when hooked up + side of the battery and coil both on my cruiser that starts and the one that is giving me problems so I know the one that starts does not have iginition issues. Anyway, may be a stupid question but what does a hot wire look like? Should I just make my own? How would I do this? Thanks. Good luck with the no spark issue Tucker. Hopefully you have better luck or more persistent than I am. :doh:

tucker74 said:
I get spark from the coil wire when I hold it near the block and crank the engine ... cap and wires aren't very old, but you never know...

Tucker

It has to be in the cap, rotor or spark plug wires.

cruiserwanted said:
Anyway, Pinhead you said hot wire here and in my last post and what does this look like? Anyway, may be a stupid question but what does a hot wire look like? Should I just make my own? How would I do this? :doh:

A hot wire is just a wire you know is good. If you want to get fancy, put an aligator clip on each end. You don't want to ask for one at the parts store or they will look at you funny or give you the stink eye.

Last edited:
If you know you get a good spark from the coil wire, put a real thin coat of grease on the rotor where the center post of the cap rubs on the rotor. Put the cap back and remove it. Make sure the grease is disturbed, that will tell you if the coil post is contacting the rotor.

With the cap off, rotate the motor and make sure the rotor is turning.

Beyond that, have you changed the cap and rotor since it last ran? If so, put the old one on and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom