no spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working on my 70 FJ40 for some time now and can not get a spark. I removed a plug and grounded it to the engine block and nothing. It is getting enough power to turn over and tries real hard but no sparky to make it fire. I just put in new points and set them. I know the plugs and wires are good as tested the same plug I removed and it got spark on my cruiser that starts. (new spark plugs) What else should I do/check? :confused:

Thanks for the help. Just want to get this thing to fire. Not even move yet just fire.

:cheers:

Ive had this problem and had to replace the coil. I'm having it again now but I think this time it is not getting power to the coil. So both of those sound like good options for you to check into.

Check the fuses?

A couple of stupid but easy to do things (no offense, but I've done all of these at one time or another)
Remember to put the rotor back in?
Sure the points are tight and properly adjusted?
Remember to hook up the condensor and the wire to the coil?

Was it working before or has it been down for a while?
About the only other thing it needs to get spark is voltage to the coil so you might want to check that too.

Background on Cruiser: bought it after it sat 10 years...had old rochester carb on it and no starter, dead battery and probably a few other little things. Changed out things and got it to the point that it would turn over and fire. Sprayed carb cleaner in it and it ran for maybe a minute. Than when I was attempting to change points (got the wrong ones at autozone) pulled the pin out of the distributer (the one that holds the points in place) so changed distributor, got the alt rebuilt and bought an old OME carb. Like I said not it turns over but does not fire....I do not have feeler gauges so set the points using a matchbook cover :rolleyes:. Besides points being off anything else. Have thought about the coil but seems odd it would be it when I did not change it out???

:cheers:

Here is the no spark drill:

1) Run a hot wire from the battery + to the coil + lug and see if you have a spark. If so, the problem is in the ignition circuit feed line. Trace the wires back untill you find the bad connection.
2) If no spark in 1) disconnect the - side of the coil, hot wire the + side of the coil and momentarily ground the - side of the coil. If it sparks, coil is good; check for open or shorted distributor wire or bad points.
3) If it doesn't spark, coil is no good.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom