No spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fusible links should be located just inches off of the positive battery post. Take a pic of the wiring coming off your positive battery post. You may have to remove some crappy electrical tape if the previous owner has been in there hacking and bypassing the fusible links. Other than the large wire that goes to the starter all other wiring coming off the battery to the vehicle should run through the fusible links.

Here you go. Haven’t had time to run through anything else this weekend. Will try to do some more trouble shooting this week.

2780D7BA-205B-45EA-A1A3-993147D162A3.jpeg

Can you zoom out some? Looks like the the start of the fusible link connected at positive. There should be about 6" of three wires between that connection and another plug end. The three wires act as a fuse and burn if too much voltage or current is there. It is fusible link wire, not standard wire. You can buy a new link from Toyota still. I bought one and rebuilt my old one that rids in the glove box.
The part number is: 90982-08135
If the two green ends are not there with the wires between them replace it and inspect the ends that stay on the truck.
THe ends on mine were burnt looking as well, so I rebuilt it using new connectors inside the original green plugs.

No, the PO didn't replace the fusible links when they blew. Contact @ToyotaMatt and have him make you a piece that goes from battery post to fusible links. Then buy 2 sets of fusible links. Put the spare in your glove box. Put one of the new sets in between the green plug you have and the plug end that Matt makes for you.

Here is a pic of the pigtail Matt made for me:

fusible link pigtail.png

No, the PO didn't replace the fusible links when they blew. Contact @ToyotaMatt and have him make you a piece that goes from battery post to fusible links. Then buy 2 sets of fusible links. Put the spare in your glove box. Put one of the new sets in between the green plug you have and the plug end that Matt makes for you.

Here is a pic of the pigtail Matt made for me:

View attachment 2938959
Will do. Could this be the reason for no spark?

possibly. If you have a multi tester or 12v test light you can check to see you have voltage between the positive battery post and the back of that green plug where the metal connectors are crimped to the wires. See if you have voltage. You should fix it regardless though. Could save you from burning up your wiring in the future.

you can download a copy of the 2F engine manual from the resources tab in the top menu bar. Section 8 is on the ignition system. There are on-vehicle checks that will help determine where your spark problem is.

Thanks @2mbb I will do that! Been slammed with work and haven’t had a chance to do anything else to get this figured out. I PM @ToyotaMatt for some fusible links as well hoping to get this cleared up soon.

Hey everyone, sorry for not positing in a while. I'll bring everyone up to speed. After trying to continue diagnosing my ignition issues I had a local Toyota tech take a look and they have concluded the ignition module is bad. But, they also can't source a new one. Only a company that will refurbish it for $600! Any ideas?
I have made contact with Toyota Matt to get the fusible links sorted out. Thanks for the hookup on that!

what ignition module? What year is your truck? The components of the ignition circuit are the switch, coil, igniter, distributor, plug wires and spark plugs. Here is the USA ignition circuit from the 81 2f Motor FSM:

1647474620466.png

By module did he mean the distributor?? And for $600.00 you could replace your ignition system several times. You may want to ask the toyota tech what ignition module is he talking about. Prices for recently purchased ignition parts...

yazaki plug wire set...$63.28
spark plug set $10.14
ignition coil $62.49
dizzy cap....17.74
rotor..............9.97

Igniter is NLA.

There are some parts on the dizzy that are still available from toyota ...
spark generator inside the dizzy....131.36
rotor pole..................................................75.96
Vacuum advancer.................................116.05

@g-man Do you have a part number for the coil? For that price I am thinking of carrying a spare, I think mine is original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom