No Spark to coil '70 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I picked up a cheap (sorta) 40 a few weeks ago for a lockdown project, but I can't get any spark. It's been in a field for years. The previous own has a plow on it and a bunch of weird, random lights. I replaced the coil and distributor stuff. But, it's not getting spark to the coil. I'm wondering where to look now. It also has a weird Capacity Discharge System. I'm guessing it may be that. Any help would be great.

61056954722__05705944-5A5D-48A3-8DC6-D5C785D55677.JPG

IMG_9883.JPG

Delete that old CDS box.
Then wire the ignition per the OEM diagram.

Dyno

Delete that old CDS box.
Then wire the ignition per the OEM diagram.

Dyno
Took all that stuff out and cleaned corrosion. I'm pretty sure it's the starter solenoid. I tried to loosen the bolt and it's completely stripped in one spot. So, I'm guessing the spark was weak because it wasn't tight enough and can't be tightened at all. The only problem is that I can't find the part number anywhere. Distributor is one of those Man-A-Fre AC DELCO jobs, they made years ago. Does it matter what solenoid I attach to it, as long as it's 12V?

Did you check to see if the fuses are good and there is in fact power to the fuse block?

Took all that stuff out and cleaned corrosion. I'm pretty sure it's the starter solenoid. I tried to loosen the bolt and it's completely stripped in one spot. So, I'm guessing the spark was weak because it wasn't tight enough and can't be tightened at all. The only problem is that I can't find the part number anywhere. Distributor is one of those Man-A-Fre AC DELCO jobs, they made years ago. Does it matter what solenoid I attach to it, as long as it's 12V?
Based on what I've read repeatedly here on MUD, ditch that distributor! Check this out, starting at Post #9 @65swb45 @Downey:

Based on what I've read repeatedly here on MUD, ditch that distributor! Check this out, starting at Post #9 @65swb45 @Downey:

Yeah, I've read a lot about that too. Since the truck's been sitting for so long, I figured I'd get it to run before I sink big money into a DUI.

I took everything else out and rewired. I have 12v going to the coil. It's well grounded. And still nothing. Could it be the distributor itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom