no spark on 1994 OMC 4.3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1994 Four Winns with a 4.3 that all of a sudden won't start. I ran it at my local lake in February and it ran great, but I can't get it to start now. It is getting fuel to the carb but no spark. It cranks over fine and the kill switch is closed.

This is a 4.3 Chevy engine with a 2 barrel carb. I wanted to verify that the only thing that would cause this is either the coil or the ignition module, right? There is power to the coil but I can't quite figure out how to troubleshoot the module. I've had a hard time finding troubleshooting tips online and I can't get a decent factory manual (OMC's out of business). I've searched on BoatingABC and Iboats and got some info, but not a lot of details on the later model 4.3 like this.

I'd prefer to NOT throw parts at it, mainly because my local boat shop said they almost never see a failure of either the module or the coil on this engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Allan

pop off the distributor cap and make sure the distributor spins when you crank the engine.

if it's anything like the 4.3 I had in the 89 Jimmy, the ignition module is a small plastic 3 or 4 pronged plug in piece under the distributor cap.

It went on me 3 times. The truck would crank over forever but would not start. Local parts store tested the module, declared it dead and sold me a new one for 50 bucks. Plugged it in and truck started on first try.

X2 on the module if got a 4.3 in a blazer and i've replaced it twice.... but should get it checked first before throwing in parts you dont really need

Thanks for the responses.

Against my better judgement, I opted to let my local boat store diagnose this. They did and said their checks showed the ignition module had failed. I'm waiting on a replacement module right now.

I hope they're right - summer is here and I want to get on the lake!

I'll post up when I get the boat back.

Allan

FYI - I got my boat back over the weekend. Both the ignition module and the coil failed according to the boat shop. Both were replaced and it's running fine now.

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom