No sound, keep blowing 30a AMP radio fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up an 06lc and at first I had external system not connected error. Replaced the fuse on the passenger footwell and that fixed my backup cam, nav and radio but there was no audio. Looking in the bay the 30a fuse was missing altogether. Replaced it and it immediately pops. Looked under the seat and the amp seems to look okay with no visible damage. I even took the amp apart and cold not find any burnt circuits or obvious issues. No signs of pinched wires or shorting out anywhere. I know it's hard, but any ideas?

20200928_130223_compress98.jpg

20200928_131331_compress10.jpg

20200928_131015_compress80.jpg

20200928_132801_compress36.jpg

20200928_132747_compress95.jpg

That does not sound like fun...everything under the seat looks good so it's going to start getting complicated unless someone else has a suggestion 😭😂
Time to start looking for a pinched wire As a first step. It appears that you have a dead short somewhere

Slightly off-topic, but thanks for the pics of the amp internals. I captured and posted some pics of a ML amp internals from my 01LX. "They don't make them like they used to" surely applies.

Slightly off-topic, but thanks for the pics of the amp internals. I captured and posted some pics of a ML amp internals from my 01LX. "They don't make them like they used to" surely applies.
Hahahaha no worries. If you need higher res photos, just let me know.

What is the fuse label that keeps blowing in the engine bay? You may need to consult the EWD and start tracing from there. Is this a new issue, or did you buy the rig with no working radio?

What is the fuse label that keeps blowing in the engine bay? You may need to consult the EWD and start tracing from there. Is this a new issue, or did you buy the rig with no working radio?
It's the 30amp "AMP"fuse. Radio never worked for me. Bought it 3 days ago. I ordered an ewd but I'm afraid it's too complex for me to figure out lol.

If you unplug all radio connections but leave the amp plugged in, does the fuse still instantly die when plugged in?

So it seems that the above pictured harness is not factory and may have played a roll in blowing fuses and now possibly my amp. Ive ordered another amp and Ill try to see what that harness was for. :/

Those twisted pairs may be speaker inputs/outputs. If i were you, I'd chase down the yellow and black wires to the relay, fuse, power source, and ground locations.

Check that your light blue, square CAN plugs are all connected. It is just a single pin connector that connects all the audio devices to the CAN. "External System Not Connected" is a clue that the CAN is not functioning. It will also blow a fuse if left unplugged. My guess is the previous owner bypassed it so they could have their bangin' stereo and just lived without backup camera and nav. From your first photos it looked like the blue square CAN plug was missing.

Check that your light blue, square CAN plugs are all connected. It is just a single pin connector that connects all the audio devices to the CAN. "External System Not Connected" is a clue that the CAN is not functioning. It will also blow a fuse if left unplugged. My guess is the previous owner bypassed it so they could have their bangin' stereo and just lived without backup camera and nav. From your first photos it looked like the blue square CAN plug was missing.
I don't see any blue connector,just that grey one that looks similar.

Also, plot twist.that harness is kinda aftermarket/kinda oem. I traced it down and it lead to the back where it connected to a toyota satellite radio receiver. It was also where that magnetic box that was on my roof terminated. Since I hate satellite radio and it may have caused me excessive headaches, I went around and removed all of the harnesses. Luckily it only used plug and play harnesses so it made it easy with no cutting.

I hope this will fix my issue but I guess I won't know until I get a new amp

Does amp have a cooling fan? I have heard of people having issues with the amp going into thermal protection. I guessed that their fan was out. Of course, I don't actually know if there is a fan. Do you? Also, have you shared photos of your new LC?

Does amp have a cooling fan? I have heard of people having issues with the amp going into thermal protection. I guessed that their fan was out. Of course, I don't actually know if there is a fan. Do you? Also, have you shared photos of your new LC?
No cooling fan anywhere, maybe the lx has it but not my lc. What I'm kind of thinking happened is the sat radio went out and grounded out the amp power and in turn ruined the amp. I have very basic electrical trouble shooting abilities so I can't say for certain. I have not shared photos yet. Is there a place where I'm supposed to do that?

In case anyone was losing sleep over this, after removing the sat radio receiver, associated harnesses and replacing the radio amp, it's as good as new. When testing the old equipment they both had bad diodes. Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom