No reverse tried searching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all I have a 95 land cruiser in my shop. It came in for a heater core. After that repair was done I found a freeze plug went out in the back of the block so I removed the transmission repaired and put the trans back in
I started backing it off the lift and after 3 feet all motion stopped.

I checked the linkages and found them in order

dropped the pan and saw the kick down cable was stretched and the roller was locked over detent. I freed it up and found no catching or hang ups. Readjusted cable and refilled with atf

still no reverse I have all foreword gears

the trans is an A343F and ran and drove fine until I pulled the trans

does anyone have any input on this? I’ve been struggling for weeks I can’t see that the trans just lost a gear could I have plugged a sensor into the wrong port? Is there something I’m missing?

My reverse went intermittent on my 1997. Was worse when it was cold. Got better as it warmed to operating temp. In the end I had to replace the tranny. I replaced with a low mile unit as apposed to a tranny shop rebuild.

devo

The A343F in my '99 does the same thing; started a year or two ago (270k miles now). On cold mornings I let it warm up 5-10 minutes (sometimes less) and its good to go. It has never (knocking on wood) done it while in camp/tour mode though.

How did you check the transmission fluid?

Obviously it was not warm.

No couldn’t get it hot. Idling in park and neutral it is at the top of the cold mark now
Try locking the CDL and try reverse again to eliminate a couple possibilities.

Does it make any crazy noises when you back up like the clutches are slipping or just rev and no movement? My reverse went out in mine, ATF was real dark with burned up clutch material. I too swapped it with a lowish miles transmission. Mine presented more under load/uphill in reverse and made God awful noises when it happened.

Does it make any crazy noises when you back up like the clutches are slipping or just rev and no movement? My reverse went out in mine, ATF was real dark with burned up clutch material. I too swapped it with a lowish miles transmission. Mine presented more under load/uphill in reverse and made God awful noises when it happened.
No noise at all just rev and no movement when I pulled the pan atf was clean and had a new filter someone was in there before me and did a service

Could this be a wiring issue or something not plugged in? I’m not familiar with this trans at all mostly a Ford and dodge technician

From the FSM...

IMG_20210104_221702368.jpg

IMG_20210104_221721605.jpg

Could this be a wiring issue or something not plugged in? I’m not familiar with this trans at all mostly a Ford and dodge technician

No. A343F is fully mechanical/hydraulic in Park/Neutral/Reverse.

Then this has to be a fluid issue right?

Or something mechanical. Do you have a way to check for DTC's that might be present?

Did the trans initially go into gear and then fail as it was backing out, or was there never a reverse gear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom