No reverse tried searching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any progress on this one?

Any progress on this topic I have a 95 with the same issue
So, you dropped a working transmission, reinstalled it and the reverse gear won't engage? Or it just stopped working without having any work done?

So, you dropped a working transmission, reinstalled it and the reverse gear won't engage? Or it just stopped working without having any work done?
Yes it was a working transmission when pulled out and did a rear main crank seal when put back in the car moved about 5 feet after that the reverse dose not appear to be working. now the when put in reverse the engine rpms react like it is going into reverse but will not move, the car has all forward gears. my LC is doing all the same issues that the original poster was having

Thank You

Yes it was a working transmission when pulled out and did a rear main crank seal when put back in the car moved about 5 feet after that the reverse dose not appear to be working. now the when put in reverse the engine rpms react like it is going into reverse but will not move, the car has all forward gears. my LC is doing all the same issues that the original poster was having

Thank You
pulled the transmission pan and found lots of brass shavings in the pan. the car has 260,000 miles

Thank You

Well, he didn't bother to report his solution, so it looks like we all get to go through this all over again.

Assuming the case wasn't opened, and no trash found its way into the torque converter, there are three possibilities:
1) the kickdown cable is misadjusted (I'm not sure this is even possible - that it would affect only the reverse gear - but I mention it anyway)
2) the shift linkage is misadjusted (my first guess)
3) some imminent failure decide to wait until after you pulled the transmission to occur) (unlikely, but not impossible)

Have you verified the shift linkage installation with FSM?

You beat me to my answer. Can you post a photo?

I have one on the bench, but it's not open yet.

Looking through the parts list, I don't recall any brass parts. Are the pieces large, small or shavings? Could it be clutch lining?

Well, he didn't bother to report his solution, so it looks like we all get to go through this all over again.

Assuming the case wasn't opened, and no trash found its way into the torque converter, there are three possibilities:
1) the kickdown cable is misadjusted (I'm not sure this is even possible - that it would affect only the reverse gear - but I mention it anyway)
2) the shift linkage is misadjusted (my first guess)
3) some imminent failure decide to wait until after you pulled the transmission to occur) (unlikely, but not impossible)

Have you verified the shift linkage installation with FSM?
Hello
the kickdown cable is has been adjusted and found not the issue
the shift link was tested and found it was spot on and not the issue
that is with I and currently thinking that the transmission just waited until I touched it

Hello
the kickdown cable is has been adjusted and found not the issue
the shift link was tested and found it was spot on and not the issue
that is with I and currently thinking that the transmission just waited until I touched it
Here’s some photos of the brass shavings in the transmission pan

947AE8F3-A72F-403A-809E-44F3EF1EAAA3.jpeg

B8E6B84D-5B56-4B71-B7E4-8B5047971181.jpeg

That's not brass on the magnet, it's clutch steel facing. That looks like clutch lining to me, but I can't be certain with the lighting.

I think you're at the point where you have to inspect the forward clutch and reverse clutches/steels. If the forward one-way clutch is stuck, it'll go forward but not release, and if the rear linings are gone, you won't have reverse.

This is generally the result of long term wear/hard use (one of my 95s has the same problem), or one really bad trail experience where the load was just high enough, combined with the existing wear on the clutch surfaces, and maybe hot/low oil, and you get a catastrophic failure.

Looks like you got option 3.

The 2 Master techs work with both believe that the band reasonable for the reverse gear has snapped for some reason after backing the 5 feet

Connecting the dots could point to:
  • the debris already having been in the pan/trans before you pulled it
  • while pulling/reinstalling the trans either the tilting/positioning, oil drain/refill or similar caused some of the debris to migrate from it's usual positions
  • debris in it's new position(s) caused blockage or build up in a place fatal to reverse functionality
Sorry for the loss. Will you rebuild, replace or only park in spots with forward egress from now on? ;)

It is possible that after moving the transmission around physically the shavings made their way into a solenoid that controls reverse. You might be able to extend the life for a moment with a replacement, but my experience the shavings make its way back into a critical component.

The best fix I found was a used transmission and flushing the rest of the system completely to help eliminate any metals shavings were in the lines etc.

I wish I had a better outcome to share, hope yours is better!

Last edited:
The 2 Master techs work with both believe that the band reasonable for the reverse gear has snapped for some reason after backing the 5 feet
Post #46

There are no bands in the A343F transmission. The forward one-way clutch is a spring loaded clutch and the reverse clutch pack is a stack of clutch steels and friction plates. I'd get other opinions if I were you. Your friends don't seem to know the design of this transmission.

1679519340565.png

1679519428195.png

Hello

I have removed the transmission once again and sent it off to a local transmission shop in a attempt to find the reason of the failure and hopefully fix the issue

Thank You

Please let us know what they find

Hello

I have removed the transmission once again and sent it off to a local transmission shop in a attempt to find the reason of the failure and hopefully fix the issue

Thank You
What a pita that project is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom